How do you know when seed pods are ripe? ...etc.

Want to share and learn about Hosta hybridizing and seed starting and growing? Then this is the place. Also check out our annual seed exchange held in late fall and winter.

Moderator: redcrx

Quiet Storm

How do you know when seed pods are ripe? ...etc.

Post by Quiet Storm »

I have several hostas that have set seed pods for the first time since I've had them, and I've got several questions:
  • How will I know when the pods are ripe? They are all very green now (except Great Expectations, which has mainly white pods), and showing no signs of splitting open (should they?).

If I just leave the seed pods in place, will the seeds self-sow in my garden? Don't have much room indoors for growing seedlings over the winter (do I even need much space?).

Could folks share some tips for growing hosta from seed indoors (when one has very limited space), and perhaps post a pic of their set up?
Thanks
Gloria

I will breathe after my own fashion...
Henry David Thoreau, Civil Disobedience

My Hosta List
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

I've been told that the seeds are ripe from 6-8 weeks from the last flower. I'm going with 8 weeks now but haven't opened up my pods yet.

Laura
Quiet Storm

Post by Quiet Storm »

Many of mine are 6-8 weeks past the last flower, so should I break open the pods, or will they open on their own? I did break open one pod, and it was full of small black seeds, lots of them, but I didn't know if they were ripe or viable.
Gloria

I will breathe after my own fashion...
Henry David Thoreau, Civil Disobedience

My Hosta List
Justaysam

Post by Justaysam »

Ripe pods will start to crack and open up, usually after a few cool nights after they are ripe. If you pick them off too early, your germination rate will go down. I have picked them off, put them into envelopes in the house and they ripen and split on their own. I think they are better if left to do this on their own outside, but sometimes I miss them and they split and spill out the seed.
HostaDesigner

Post by HostaDesigner »

My general rule of thumb is, once one of the lowest pods on the scape split on their own, I harvest the rest of the scape.
New Topic Post Reply