Questions on seeds

Want to share and learn about Hosta hybridizing and seed starting and growing? Then this is the place. Also check out our annual seed exchange held in late fall and winter.

Moderator: redcrx

hostasandpapillons
USDA Zone: 5

Questions on seeds

Post by hostasandpapillons »

When do you all who start seeds indoors under lights start them? Is October a good time? Has anyone started harvesting seeds yet this year? Will there be a seed swap this year?
I know, I know, lots of questions... :???:
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Well Missy Lori! Hej there....(Hugs Pia)

Glad to see you!! Well, I would let them ripe on the plants till you see them start to open...then what I do is cut that and put in marked paper lunch bags, then let them open up good in that....I didn't start mine till , I don't know anywhere from I think November to february.....Yes, we always do a seed exchange to help raise funds for Hallson's here......I didn't save any seeds this year.....maybe I will do a few, but I have mostly cut mine already....

Lucy and Willie waving to ya!! :cool:
GrannyNanny

Post by GrannyNanny »

You can take the seed pods off the plants as soon as the seeds inside are brown/black. You can dry them in a paper cup or bag, and then take the seeds out, or you can split them while they're still green so they'll dry out faster. I have in the past started most of my hosta seeds in mid to late October, so that they're pretty good sized by the time I want to plant them out in May. Leave the lights on them 24/7-- they'll grow faster and bigger. Phyllis
New Topic Post Reply