2 varieties of seedlings

Want to share and learn about Hosta hybridizing and seed starting and growing? Then this is the place. Also check out our annual seed exchange held in late fall and winter.

Moderator: redcrx

Izzy

2 varieties of seedlings

Post by Izzy »

Hi All;
First time ever attempting to grow Hosta's from Seeds.
Trust me; if it wasn't for all Charla's patience and the donation of seeds, I wouldn't have accomplished it, this far.
Two varieties in one tray, divided by a peice of cedar.
So what needs to be done from here? Some have two leaves, but the second ones are just starting. I noticed in another topic that we should probably wait until there are three to four leaves?
Chris asked the Question, but the responce was kinda indirect.:oops:
I really have very little ideas what to do as I've really never did this before.
Attachments
Hosta seeds Lets streak March 3 2008 and seeds of Ryans Big One
Hosta seeds Lets streak March 3 2008 and seeds of Ryans Big One
Pieter

Post by Pieter »

Nice to see your seedlings Izzy!

I sowed some June and Katherine Lewis OP seeds this week, in a zip-up 'greenhouse', guess it'll be 3-4 weeks before I'll see anything, given they're outdoors in essence.

I'm looking forward to see what comes out of the June seeds, I'm hoping for some yellows, but I know I'll have to be patient. I have some of last year's seedlings coming back up, they're Revolution/Minute Man seedlings, two of which have a lot of white and will be slow growers, but I'll persevere, the others were green last year and I would expect them to continue to be this year. I also have a couple of Ginko Craig seedlings from '06 coming back up, they showed an interesting leaf form last year and I hope that will continue this year. One of them is now showing 2 noses poking up!

What sort of light are you giving those babies?
Pieter

"Never trust anyone who doesn't have dog hair on their clothes."

Pieter's Hosta List
Izzy

Post by Izzy »

That's funny you ask!
The light that I'm using is just a 12 watt energy saver bulb in a desk top lamp! :lol:
It's about 16" away from the top of the dome.
I've been informed that I need to get the light closer to the babies. 6" is a good distance. Over the next few days I'll get them closer. First time around.... :D I guess I'll learn all the quirks before I get a little more serious in the fall.
Pieter

Post by Pieter »

Well, I kinda thought they might be reaching for the light, that's why I asked..... even though I haven't grown any indoors myself, with only a small light source like that you would be well advised I suspect to leave it on 24/7. Good luck with them!
Pieter

"Never trust anyone who doesn't have dog hair on their clothes."

Pieter's Hosta List
Izzy

Post by Izzy »

I Have been leaving it on 24/7.
I've started reading the older posts from last year. They are very helpful. So is Charla! Who sent the seeds to begin with.
Slowly I am moving the Hosta's closer to the light, and with any luck they won't burn because of the movement. Slow and steady!
Thank you Pieter
Izzy
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Izzy wrote: The light that I'm using is just a 12 watt energy saver bulb in a desk top lamp!
Izzy, you will need much more light to keep them going....most of us use at least the 40w fluorescent bulbs.[/b]
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
Izzy

Post by Izzy »

I'm fixing that issue!
I will be posting pictures as soon as some of the streakers come out on the pictures.
New Topic Post Reply