2009 Planting Hostas from seed

Want to share and learn about Hosta hybridizing and seed starting and growing? Then this is the place. Also check out our annual seed exchange held in late fall and winter.

Moderator: redcrx

Scaz

2009 Planting Hostas from seed

Post by Scaz »

Third year for me planting from seed.

'07 I started in late March with incandescent bulbs and no heaters.
'08 I started in late February with heating pads and CFL Lights(those squiggly energy efficient things 60 W equivalent).
'09 I have started Jan 31 with heat mats and when they germinate - CFL Lights.

The setup is this: a 55 Gal aquarium (long) with room for 2 flats, 2 Heat Mats, and whatever lighting needed by drop lights (utility lights) suspended by wire from a PVC frame when the plants actually start to grow - adjustable for each light as they are suspended. Timers for lights control how much vertical growth they get vs. root structure. A small fan can be added for early hardiness work.

2 Grow mats X 13 watts + 4 lights @ 13 watts (60 watt equiv) = 78 Watts. Less than one 100 watt traditional light bulb for both heat and light.

Like many people here, I have pets. In my case, that pet is a cat. The aquarium setting keeps her out of my plants and allows them to grow without grazing from the aforementioned feline. A light plywood equivalent would do the same thing.

Hostas - as we all know - do not come true from seed. I have, however, have derived a lot of pleasure from sharing these Frankenstein monsters with with family and friends to put in not-so-serious places. One sister has a treeline between her home and the highway. Another sister has a small grove in her backyard. My neighbor has a black patch of dirt all along the North side of his garage. This is perfect for seedlings that may not have an exact identity, but may inspire others to join the Hosta Collective and purchase real plants for their home or gardens.

Of course I have my own collection of "real" Hosta plants but I have a small grove out back as well. I hate to mow that area - it has sticks, snakes, and ghosts of rabbits past. It is my perfect place to put some not-so-perfect plants and still have hostas everywhere.

Seed it, grow it, plant it. That's my motto.

There are a gajillion posts in the past on how to do this - and I think I read every one of them... twice... just saying I'm still there doing it in 2009.

Gus
41° 37' 40" N Lat 93° 42' 03" W Long
  • 347 mi. SW of Lambeau
  • 312 mi. W. of Wrigley
  • 182 mi. NE of Arrowhead
    Des Moines - A reasonable drive to all reasonable places.
eastwood2007

Re: 2009 Planting Hostas from seed

Post by eastwood2007 »

Hey! Way to go, Gus!

I have some seeds I started, too, on January 8. When they get big enough for pics, I'll post some. Hope you and others do the same! Sure is fun growing hosta seeds in the winter. Thanks for showing your setup....here's mine (from last year)...no cats to keep away in the house....outside is a different story entirely! :D
Attachments
Copy of 011108 010.jpg
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
toymr2mk2

Post by toymr2mk2 »

Charla,
I set up shelves like yours this year based on pics you and others have posted in the past. So far it is going well but I have some questions for you. What size trays are you using? I also noticed you are using 2 two bulb fixtures per shelf. What type of bulbs are you using? Thanks for the help.
Art
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Hi, Art - :D

I just use standard 40w fluorescent tubes. I just read a post where Linda P uses one cool white and one bright white, I think she said, in each fixture. I use the standard seed growing trays that are like 11 x 22. 4 of them fit perfectly across the width of the shelves. I use 2 fixtures to get light as far to the edge of the trays as possible, but the seedlings on the very outside edge were still reaching for the light....that's why I put the reflective blankets up then. That seemed to work.

Sure is fun!!!! :D
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
New Topic Post Reply