Seedlings...what next - update

Want to share and learn about Hosta hybridizing and seed starting and growing? Then this is the place. Also check out our annual seed exchange held in late fall and winter.

Moderator: redcrx

steg
USDA Zone: 5

Seedlings...what next - update

Post by steg »

OK...so I have a few popping up now. What next? I don't have the setup/experience that a few others have (give me time).

(seeds from pepper1 - thanks Gary)

Swoosh seedlings started in mid Jan. --> probably about 20-25 in one container, should I move them? or do that later? not at all?

Mike
Attachments
Swoosh_2-10-09_a.JPG
Swoosh_2-10-09_b.JPG
Last edited by steg on Feb 22, 2009 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Linda P

Re: Seedlings...what next

Post by Linda P »

Steg, Get those babies as close to the light as you can. They look like they're stretching a little bit. Then just keep them under lights 24/7 if you can, or at least 16 hours a day. I just use shop lights with one cool white and one bright white bulb in them. My lights are on chains so I can move them up when the plants start growing, but for now they are about an inch above the top of the containers. For now, I would leave them where they are. Then when you see something you especially like, something that stands out from the crowd in some way that pleases you, you can pot up individually in a small pot or a disposable plastic cup with a few holes poked in for drainage. To be very honest, there are still a few flats of my seeds from last year out in the garden with an old tub over them for a little protection from the winter. They are the ones that were left in the flats when I sorted out the ones I wanted to keep for sure, but I didn't have the heart to toss them. They were planted in January 08, and grew happily all summer long right in the seeding flats. Not the best situation for optimal growth, but they didn't die either.
Then get ready to lose the rest of your spare time to watching them every day to see if there's a new leaf, or anything new in the shape or form........you'll be hopelessly addicted to growing the little things.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
steg

Post by steg »

Thanks Linda P.

I figured as much on leaving them until later, but those long stretched out ones stumped me. I've moved my light about as close as I can. I already check on them just about every day. At least it's something to do while the weather is cold.

Mike
steg

Post by steg »

Couple things....I hadn't realized the buying a "regular" fluorescent light would be such a big deal. I've never really thought of CRI (color index?), power output (K) or Lumens. So, I went with a 40W, 6500K, 88 CRI bulb putting out 2180 Lumens. I don't know, we'll see but I needed a couple so we'll try these.

Picture below is of my daughter who is "helping" to raise the little ones or babies as she calls them. (FYI she's 2 1/2) After filling the old cafeteria tray with water she decided the little hostas needed some company. Went all the way upstairs to offer them her ducky.

I got a kick out of it so I thought I'd share. :D
Attachments
DSC08741_crop.JPG
To the world you may be one, but to one you may be the world.

My List: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=48366&p=425413#p425413
eastwood2007

Re: Seedlings...what next - update

Post by eastwood2007 »

Awww...how cute! Another hosta fan in the works!

Sounds like you did just right on your lights! Keep us posted on your adventures! :D
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
Carol W
USDA Zone: 4-5

Post by Carol W »

She sure is a cutie! And I can see she will be a big helper though out the years to come! :wink:
Carol
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Now that is just too cute for words.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply