More Seeds to Donate

Want to share and learn about Hosta hybridizing and seed starting and growing? Then this is the place. Also check out our annual seed exchange held in late fall and winter.

Moderator: redcrx

Marlys
USDA Zone: 5B

More Seeds to Donate

Post by Marlys »

I sowed hosta seeds again Sunday afternoon. Wish I had time / space / energy to 'plant them all'. But I don't :(

So the good news is - I have 'left-over' seeds from wonderful plants to donate to the Hallson Forum. :D

Stealth - 3 pkts / streaked petioles GONE
Pistol - 2 pkts / very streaked plant / streaked petioles GONE
Galaxy - 4 pkts / big fat seeds / streaked petioles / awesome large mother plant / GONE
Sally & Bob - 0
Blue Mouse Ears - 0
Golden Teacup - 6 pkts / very cupped-up, heavy substance leaves, very yellow, very corrugated , awesome plant
Yellow Splash - 12 pkts (it sets lots of seeds) very streaked plant / streaked petioles / grows very quickly GONE
adding: Hosta 'Dick Ward' - 6 pkts (He was the favorite plant in my gardens 2008)

The pkts have approx. 1 tsp of seeds in them.

Please make a generous donation to Chris @ Hallson Gardens in exchange for the seeds. :beer:

Thanx!

MM
http://www.marlysgardens.com
Last edited by Marlys on Mar 25, 2009 10:46 pm, edited 6 times in total.
greenguy

Re: More Seeds to Donate

Post by greenguy »

I would really like to try some of the pistol seed. What would be a good donation for them?
Marlys

Post by Marlys »

Green Guy -

I'll send you the last pkt of H 'Pistol' seeds. The first pkt went to my friend - Pepper 1.

As for what is a good donation amount - please be gnerous to the Hallson Gardens Forum.
Pistol is a rare Benedict plant & does not set alot of seeds so they are special. The seeds are open pollinated.

I will try to post a picture of my plant later tonight so you can see how wonderful the color is.
My plant came from Stark Gardens near Norwalk, IA from the garden of Gunther Stark.
It was actually sold me to as H 'Audra Wilson' but certainly a case of mistaken identity.
Gunther developed Alzhiemer's Disease & his son, Dean sold the plant to me & my best hosta buddy, Connie several years ago now.
We were young in the 'Hosta World' then & innocent.

However, the person Audra Wilson has become a good friend of ours & she has the hosta 'Audra Wilson' (also a extremely rare Benedict plant) in her garden (one of a very few) & she knew H 'Pistol' had gotten confused with H 'Audra Wilson' in Gunther's garden after he was unable to care for the garden himself.

Enjoy the seeds & let me know when you produce the sdlg that wins Best of Show @ a national hosta convention in the next few years. LOL!!! but could happen.

PM your mailing address to me & I will get the seeds out to you in the next couple days.

Thanx! so much.

MM
Gardenitis
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by Gardenitis »

Hi there,

If you have any seeds left, I'd love to have a packet or two.

Michelle
Marlys

Post by Marlys »

Michelle,

I believe we can send seeds out of USA to Canada but USA does not allow us to get seeds from out of the country.
That is my understanding anyway. I could easy be wrong.
Maybe ask on the general hosta forum and others with more experience will know the correct information.

I think I just sent you a PM (personal e-mail message) via this forum.
Check your personal message & get back to me.

Thanx!

MM
Gardenitis

Post by Gardenitis »

HI Marlys,

Your message came through no problemo. Thanks for that & I've sent one back in reply.

This is like Christmas in March and you're the santa! :snow:

Take care,
Michelle
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Hi!

I've sent and received seeds from Canada with no problems. Now it may be a case of not having been caught, but anyway...no problems! :D
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
Marlys

Post by Marlys »

Michelle - Got your hosta seed in an envelope & now Charla is letting us know we are good to go for crossing the border.

I'm sending you Band of Gold (streaked), Glaxay, Stealth, Golden Teacup, Dick Ward (my favorite last year), & Yellow Splash (fun-little streaked plant). So you have a really good chance of getting some streaked babies with 4 streaked pod parent plants. :D

Galaxy seeds do not germinate well. I don't know why. :hmm: I only had 3 out of several germinate then one that was yellow wilted away all ready. :???: So if you do get baby plants from Galaxy feel special. :wink:

Good Luck & Have Fun!

Keep me posted.

MM
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Hi, Marlys -

Just wanted to let you know my 'Band of Gold Streaked' seeds from you germinated like crazy! and in just about 5 days!

Too little yet to tell about streakers, but I'm still watching them!

Thanks again for donating them!
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
Gardenitis

Post by Gardenitis »

Oh Marlys,

Thanks so very much! I can barely wait. I've got all my seed stuff laid out in anticipation in the dining room ready for when they show up. I've been reading up as much as I can find about being successful with the seeds. So fingers crossed!

I'll let you know when they arrive and how I do with them once they get here.

You've made my week, honestly.
Michelle
New Topic Post Reply