Is there Nobody growing hostas from seed this year????

Want to share and learn about Hosta hybridizing and seed starting and growing? Then this is the place. Also check out our annual seed exchange held in late fall and winter.

Moderator: redcrx

GrannyNanny

Is there Nobody growing hostas from seed this year????

Post by GrannyNanny »

I haven't checked this seed-growing forum for a long time -- being sick and recovering from being sick took up all my time the past couple of years -- but when I looked just now, there doesn't seem to be anything more recent than summer or fall of 2008. Last time I grew hostas from seed, there were a gazillion people exchanging seeds and growing things like crazy. Where have all the hybridizers and seed-growers gone??? I have some seeds from various Dorothy Benedict seedlings that I have germinating now (got them started late), but I'm wondering if everyone else has given up. Anyone out there growing hostas from seed???? Phyllis
lovem

Re: Is there Nobody growing hostas from seed this year????

Post by lovem »

Hi
there doesn't seem to be the interest on this forum this year. i am still growing seeds but untill last week i don't think there were any seeds that were of interest to me. i saw some this week but did not make up my mind whether to start more seed. i started mine the first of Jan which was almost two months later than last year. i am glad to hear your feeling better. i still have a couple of seedlings from the seed i got from you last year. bye Bryan
dmi188

Post by dmi188 »

There is a board devoted to seed growing. We mostly post over there about our seedlings.
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Hi, Phyllis!

Nice to hear from you! I have some seedlings growing, but not really large enough to photograph yet. I'll post some when they are. I always start mine Jan 1. Limited space.
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
pauhaus
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by pauhaus »

Hi Phyllis, how are you feeling? Hope you're doing better n' better.

I'm with Charla, I started mine on Jan. 10 and they're just getting big enough to post pics. Will post soon I hope.
Are you still growing any heucheras? All the best...
Paul
My Hosta List

“With fronds like you, who needs anemones.”
GrannyNanny

Post by GrannyNanny »

I thought that THIS was the seed growing forum -- it says so right in the title! Where do I find the REAL place where you are all posting pics?
Thanks for all your queries about my health. I have to say I am feeling great -- have all my energy back, and the most recent scan showed no cancer anywhere. I have another one next month, but neither I nor my doctor is expecting anything untoward. My replaced hip joint (just a year ago March 10) works great, and lets me bend over like I couldn't do for about four years prior to the surgery. Life is good -- thanks again for asking. Phyllis
PS I sowed my hosta seeds really late -- mid February or later -- so they are just now starting to emerge.
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Post by Spider »

Happy Anniversary on your hip!! So good to hear about your good health. Keep it up! :D
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
dmi188

Post by dmi188 »

Here ya go:
By another forum, I meant not Hallsons.
lykaon78

Post by lykaon78 »

dmi188

Post by dmi188 »

I would transplant them, one or two per small pot or styrofoam cup with good drainage holes. Get them under plant lights....keep the lights no more than a couple of inches above the plants. This will keep them from getting too tall and leggy. I keep my plant lights on at least 12 hrs a day.
Justaysam

Post by Justaysam »

Glad to hear you are doing ok Phylis. Here are a few of mine this year
Image I like this one alot, kind of misted.
Trudy

Post by Trudy »

Phyllis, great to hear that you are doing so well. You have been a blessing to many of us on this forum. Your courage has shown us that know matter what comes our way in life....we can face it!

Enjoy seeing others photos of their seedlings...keep them coming.

Justaysam...those misted seedlings are outstanding. Who are the parents or parent?

Here are a few of our 'Bywood Canna' seedlings from a seedling last year.
DSC00339.jpg
DSC00339.jpg (54.65 KiB) Viewed 5190 times
Justaysam

Post by Justaysam »

I have no idea Trudy, Lol, I don't keep track, just cross and grow. It may have been Hyuga pollen on a LS streaked breeder mom, or a stray Hyuga seedling in the LS tray of seedlings. I know I didn't get many seeds from the Hyuga pods, and may have stuck it into the LS tray to see if it would come up. Very pretty pic, thanks for sharing it with us.
R. Rock
USDA Zone: 3-4

Post by R. Rock »

HOLY MAN!!!!! :o I need to start! :cool: Thanks for sharing and keep up the pictures and talk.
Be part of the solution
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Yes, Phyllis, I'm growing seedlings. In fact, I have a cup of them going from seeds you sent me a number of years ago. I found them stuck in the back of the butter compartment in the fridge. I nearly threw them out, thinking that they would not germinate, and then thought what the heck? I might as well give them a try. There was a very high percentage of germination, and nearly all of them are streakers. I was amazed! These were not sealed in anything other than the little manila envelope. I am so delighted with them.
I also have some great stuff from Trudy, Charla, Roxanne, Rick Goodenough, Rod Kuenster, Jeff Moore and others. My first ones were planted Jan 13, and are just now getting enough size to them. I haven't take a single pic of any of them yet, will try to get some when I cull and get them in their own cups. I've been culling out green ones like crazy this year, very hard for me to kill the little fellas, but it does get easier with time. In fact, since it is raining cats and dogs here today, I'll probably do some more culling today. Maybe I can remember to take the camera downstairs with me and get a few shots.
Good to hear from you, Phyllis, and I'm so glad you are doing well.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Funkyman
USDA Zone: 8

Post by Funkyman »

GrannyNanny wrote:I haven't checked this seed-growing forum for a long time -- being sick and recovering from being sick took up all my time the past couple of years -- but when I looked just now, there doesn't seem to be anything more recent than summer or fall of 2008. Last time I grew hostas from seed, there were a gazillion people exchanging seeds and growing things like crazy. Where have all the hybridizers and seed-growers gone??? I have some seeds from various Dorothy Benedict seedlings that I have germinating now (got them started late), but I'm wondering if everyone else has given up. Anyone out there growing hostas from seed???? Phyllis
Hi Phyllis,
i am a new member from Dorsten (Germany). Hopefully you are getting better. Interesting about hostaseeds in Germany is very large. But most seeds I get from gardeners germinating green. Interesting seeds are almost exclusively abroad on Ebay to purchase. This year I will croosing H. Galaxy with H. Marýke Lokike. I hope to get some seeds. Best wishes from Dorsten

yours Sincerely,
Martin
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Welcome, Martin!

I wish you success with your cross with h. Galaxy. Sometimes it is hard to set seeds, but if you get any streaked babies they will likely be nice ones!

Good luck and hope to hear from you again! :D
Charla
Funkyman
USDA Zone: 8

Post by Funkyman »

eastwood2007 wrote:Welcome, Martin!

I wish you success with your cross with h. Galaxy. Sometimes it is hard to set seeds, but if you get any streaked babies they will likely be nice ones!

Good luck and hope to hear from you again! :D

Hi Charla,

thanks for the friendly welcome in this forum. In Germany the first Hostas grow from the earth. Next week we will get warmer temperatures, so i will get in my garden to see my little Hosta babies. Best wishes from dorsten

Martin
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Good luck Martin....seeing hosta babies in spring are a wonderful sight! :D
Charla
New Topic Post Reply