What Kinds of Hosta Seeds are You Looking For?

Want to share and learn about Hosta hybridizing and seed starting and growing? Then this is the place. Also check out our annual seed exchange held in late fall and winter.

Moderator: redcrx

GrannyNanny

What Kinds of Hosta Seeds are You Looking For?

Post by GrannyNanny »

Hi folks -- I haven't been on this forum for awhile, but I'm in the middle of collecting seeds for next winter, and I'll have more than I can use myself. I have some from a gold hosta that reliably produces a lot of gold seedlings, and quite a few from streaked seedlings that came from Dorothy Benedict. I'd like to know what people are looking for, so I'll know what to save for others, even if I don't want that kind myself. Phyllis
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: What Kinds of Hosta Seeds are You Looking For?

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Phyllis,

People always like to grow things from streaked plants and if you have any with piecrust edges those are a lot of fun too.

Thanks for thinking of us :)

Chris
steg
USDA Zone: 5

Post by steg »

I second the streaked and pie crust too! :D :D

Since the topic is here.....what is the best way to collect seeds for the exchange? I have several with pods full, but not sure exactly the best method for collecting and storing until the seed exchange.

Steg
To the world you may be one, but to one you may be the world.

My List: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=48366&p=425413#p425413
lovem

Post by lovem »

Hi Phyllis
I personally always like to try Dorhty Benedict seeds and always am interested in streaked pod parent seeds. i seem to get enough of the other colors from these plants any way. Bye Bryan
GrannyNanny

Post by GrannyNanny »

I do have some seeds from SEEDLINGS of Dorothy Benedict, all of which are streaked and have been since I grew them five years ago. I'll get them up on the forum when I've sorted them out to see how much I have. I also have a bright yellow large hosta that consistently throws yellow seedlings, so I'll put some of those up, too. Thanks for responding -- Phyllis
New Topic Post Reply