What if I don't have any seeds to exchange?

Want to share and learn about Hosta hybridizing and seed starting and growing? Then this is the place. Also check out our annual seed exchange held in late fall and winter.

Moderator: redcrx

audre
USDA Zone: 5

What if I don't have any seeds to exchange?

Post by audre »

Good afternoon,

I've two newbie questions....

How does someone get started with the Hosta seed exchange when they don't really have anything special to trade?

Also, when is it safe to pull the seed pods from the plants?

peace,
audre
steg

Re: What if I don't have any seeds to exchange?

Post by steg »

My guess is Chris will get to this one. Not really sure the best time to pull the seeds off - late Sept, early Oct???/

As for the seed exchange, you don't have to have anything to trade. Some people collect more seeds than they can use. They are offered up in either an auction style where you bid on them or just offered. The payment for the seeds is sent to Hallson Gardens to help keep this awesome forum going.

Hope that helps some.

Good luck.
To the world you may be one, but to one you may be the world.

My List: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=48366&p=425413#p425413
GrannyNanny

Post by GrannyNanny »

I've just posted a paragraph on harvesting seeds, so I hope it'll help clear that up for you. However, you can just get seeds from some of the rest of us, by PM'ing the person who is offering them, and arranging with him/her for the seeds. You send a donation to Chris to keep the forum going, and that's it. Some people ask a certain price for a packet of seeds (they will tell you how many seeds, either in numbers or in teaspoon measures), and that price, too, goes to the forum. Some, like me, usually just ask you to donate what you can, remembering that being on this forum is FREE but needs to be paid for to keep it on the net. Phyllis
audre

Post by audre »

OK cool beans. Thanks for the explanations.

And... I have been pollinating my Raspberry Sorbet, Grand Slam, So Sweet and Hyuga Urajiro - crossing fingers I won't be totally seedless for the seed exchange.
New Topic Post Reply