To all those to whom I sent seeds

Want to share and learn about Hosta hybridizing and seed starting and growing? Then this is the place. Also check out our annual seed exchange held in late fall and winter.

Moderator: redcrx

GrannyNanny

To all those to whom I sent seeds

Post by GrannyNanny »

Hi everyone -- I just wanted to let you know that I've had VERY poor germination from the seeds that I sowed back in November, and I'm curious to see what you've had with the same batch of seeds. If results have been slim, I'm really, really sorry -- I was convinced that this batch had a lot of viable seeds in it, and apparently it did not. Today I sowed the remaining seeds that I'd been keeping in the fridge, so I'm hoping for better success next time. We shall see. Merry Christmas to you all -- Phyllis
PS On the other hand, the heuchera seeds I sowed at the same time grew like weeds, and I have four flats of them, going gangbusters under my lights. This makes me feel better, since if I can grow heucheras, it tells me it was the hosta seeds and not ME that was at fault!
Linda P

Re: To all those to whom I sent seeds

Post by Linda P »

Phyllis, I haven't sowed any yet, but hope to get started this week. I'll let you know how they do.

Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
pepper1
USDA Zone: 5

Post by pepper1 »

Hi Phyllis,

Unfortunately, none of my seeds germinated (I tried the DB seedling and the large streaked seedling). No problem though as I was able to get seeds from several sources. Although your seeds sounded nice, I mainly requested from you to support the Hallsons Forum with a donation.

Good luck with your second sowing! I hope they too grow like weeds!
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Gary
GrannyNanny

Post by GrannyNanny »

Gary -- I am so sorry the seeds I sent you were duds. I don't mind when MY sowings don't pan out, but I hate to send seeds to others that don't provide them with anything to grow! If you'll email me next fall, I'll try another packet -- my treat, no charge. Phyllis
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Phyllis, I started mine today. Time will tell! I also got the DB and large streaked ones.
The seed looked good, lots of nice fat kernels in them, so it's hard to tell why they might not
want to germinate.
I'll let you know how they do!

Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Mark_IL

Post by Mark_IL »

Hi Phyllis,

I planted the DB seedling seeds and the very large streaked seeds you sent on December 28th. The same day I also planted DB seeds I obtained from Rod Kuenster. At the same time I planted OP seeds I had collected at home. Only about 10% of the streaked seeds have shown signs of life and they are still very tiny. Some do not even have a leaf yet. On the other hand, my OP seeds are flourishing. They germinated much faster and some have two leaves already. This tells me that perhaps all Dorothy Benedict seeds are slow or difficult to germinate. I'm mildly disappointed that I will not have dozens of streaked seedlings to show like folks like Rod and Bob Axmear do, but so far I have seven seedlings from the streakers and I hope that a few are streaked.

I appreciate your post so I know I am not the only one having trouble growing streakers' seeds. However, do not be concerned about sending poor seeds. It is a lot of work for you to gather, clean, sort, store and mail out the seeds for nothing but a donation to the forum. Generally, I just lurk on this forum and on Rod's hostaseedgrowers forum. Your offer prompted me to send Chris a donation and I felt good about that.

Happy New Year! Soon we will be back in the gardens. I hope your health challenges are diminishing.

Mark
GrannyNanny

Post by GrannyNanny »

Mark -- thanks for letting me know that you got SOMETHING from those seeds! DB seedlings are notoriously hard to grow -- to germinate, and then to keep alive while they grow very slowly into hostas that you might like to keep. I have three or four that are five years old now, and they are still only the size of most of the OP ones that I've had for only three years. DB is just a stubborn lady to grow, and her seedlings take after Mama! Post some pics when yours get big enough to photograph, won't you? Phyllis
Mark_IL

Post by Mark_IL »

Finally got a few pics of DB seedlings with streaks. I had a few others that have gone all blue and one very bight yellow. All told I have about 20 seedlings; just three have heavy streaking. Thanks again Phyllis. I can't wait to see these grow up.

Mark

GrannyNanny

Post by GrannyNanny »

Mark -- You don't know how good it is to hear that some of my streaker seeds were not duds! What you have looks great -- good substance, and lovely streaking. I'm going to try again this winter, but my seeds are going to be reduced because most of my streaked hostas were attacked by the rabbits, who ATE the seed pods. GRRRR! Thanks again -- Phyllis
New Topic Post Reply