Growing 'Cherry Berry' seeds?

Want to share and learn about Hosta hybridizing and seed starting and growing? Then this is the place. Also check out our annual seed exchange held in late fall and winter.

Moderator: redcrx

ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Growing 'Cherry Berry' seeds?

Post by ViolaAnn »

Has anyone tried growing seeds from <i>H.</i> 'Cherry Berry'? I was advised awhile back that they will always produce "fatal whites" and in the past when I've tried it (just once really), that's exactly what I got.

However, I have quite a few nice fat seeds. Does anyone know if they will ever produce anything viable?

Ann
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
Linda P

Re: Growing 'Cherry Berry' seeds?

Post by Linda P »

I've never grown them, but I would say if you have the seeds and you have room, go ahead and give it another try.
You just never know with hosta seeds. I would think it's likely that you would get a majority of fatal whites,
simply because there is so much white in the leaf of Cherry Berry, but you can't really say anything for certain.
If you do grow them, be sure to let us know how it turns out!
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
GrannyNanny

Post by GrannyNanny »

I say give it a try -- you don't have anything to lose except a bit of potting soil. You just might get something great. Phyllis
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

Asking again. Has anyone ever grown anything except "fatal whites" from Cherry Berry? Once again, I have masses of seed.
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
GrannyNanny

Post by GrannyNanny »

Sow them! You can sow thickly so you don't take up a lot of room, and then cull out for replanting any that you might get that are not fatal whites. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, is my motto! Phyllis
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

I agree, why not just give it a shot. As soon as they germinate you will know if they are worth keeping or not.
New Topic Post Reply