Need advice on caring for seedlings

Want to share and learn about Hosta hybridizing and seed starting and growing? Then this is the place. Also check out our annual seed exchange held in late fall and winter.

Moderator: redcrx

teleman14
USDA Zone: 5

Need advice on caring for seedlings

Post by teleman14 »

hi, I am brand new to growing hostas from seed. I planted a bunch of seeds fromm various plants,along with some rose seeds and daylily seeds. I put them in a flat of regular potting soil about a month and a half ago,and some of them are sprouting now. I would appreciate any advice on how to care for them until spring planting.I am in zone 5 just south of chicago. Thanks in advance.
dmi188

Post by dmi188 »

I leave mine in flats, under plant lights till they are 3 to 5 leaves. Keep the plant lights no more than a couple of inches above the plants.

When they are ready for transplant, I plant into 8 oz styrofoam cups. Still keep them right under the plant lights. You may need to keep transplanting up into bigger cups or pots till April or May. Depends on the plant size. I work primarily with small plants, so they don't outgrow my space too quickly.
teleman14
USDA Zone: 5

Re: Need advice on caring for seedlings

Post by teleman14 »

I have them in an aluminum tray like caterers use right now.They are very small at this time.I am wondering if I should have waited til later to plant them when they would get more natural sunlight as the first ones are starting to get a little long and spindly. I moved them to a sunnier location and I hope they will develope stronger growth that way. I am wondering how often they need to be waterd at this stage and when should i start ferilizing them
New Topic Post Reply