has anybody seeds for me????

Want to share and learn about Hosta hybridizing and seed starting and growing? Then this is the place. Also check out our annual seed exchange held in late fall and winter.

Moderator: redcrx

Rosenzobel

has anybody seeds for me????

Post by Rosenzobel »

hi there- i am from germany as you eventually know? ( excuse my worse englich)And out here it is difficult to find plants wich are virusfree. I have no seedlings from my Hostas ( don´t know why?- maybe the weather wasn´t that good?)
So my question: would anybody send seedlings to germany ?? i would pay for it of course!
greetz
melanie
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Re: has anybody seeds for me????

Post by ViolaAnn »

Melanie,

I don't know what the regulations would be sending hosta seeds across international borders. It's quite possible that they could be intercepted at some point.

I AM wondering, from your question, whether you are aware that hosta seeds won't come true to the parent plant? The vast majority of them will produce just green seedlings although the colour of the green might vary and you might get some of the various leaf characteristics - pie crusted edges, cupping, etc. It can be very interesting to try growing them as long as you are aware of the probably results.

I thought the Dutch growers were becoming more aware of HVX and that it was possible to get disease free plants now, but I guess Chris would know more about that and whether any European nurseries are reliable.

Ann
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
John

Post by John »

What was the consensus of whether the virus can be transmitted through seeds?
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

One of the later things is, the HVX can be transmitted via seeds... so get them from good and knowing people like Hallsonites

You can send seeds out the US with out problems, but seedlings will need a plant export paper

We in EU are not allowed to send seeds to ÙS, but for Canada it os okay
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
New Topic Post Reply