Hosta seeds

Want to share and learn about Hosta hybridizing and seed starting and growing? Then this is the place. Also check out our annual seed exchange held in late fall and winter.

Moderator: redcrx

marric

Hosta seeds

Post by marric »

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum but I've had hostas for a few years. I've been reading and learning from you guys for a few months now. I love the advice I've read and the gorgous pictures, especially now in the winter. What I am new to is growing from seed. My question is, how do you tell a viable seed from a dud? Mine were all fairly flat. I did recieve some in trade that were also fairly flat but I was told these would be viable. Marg
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Hosta seeds

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Marg, and welcome to the forums!

While most of the hosta seed will be flat, one end should have a slight bump to it. The most viable seed will have a very noticeable round bump when you feel it, but even some of the ones that don't feel that big will grow. However if they are completely flat then no, they aren't likely to do anything.

Good luck!

Chris
marric

Re: Hosta seeds

Post by marric »

Thanks for the info Chris. I've planted about 100 seeds so I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping something grows. Marg
New Topic Post Reply