Seedling of "Last Dance'

Want to share and learn about Hosta hybridizing and seed starting and growing? Then this is the place. Also check out our annual seed exchange held in late fall and winter.

Moderator: redcrx

ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Seedling of "Last Dance'

Post by ViolaAnn »

Just wanted to share a picture of this good looking seedling from 'Last Dance'. A 2009 seedling.
Attachments
Seedling-Last_Dance-0426sx.jpg
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
Seedseller1

Re: Seedling of "Last Dance'

Post by Seedseller1 »

Rather unusual to get a two colored seedling from a parent that was not a streaked breeder. Looks good and thanks for sharing
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

Mike - I was certainly surprised. I think it had some colour variation last year, but not as pronounced. Will be interesting to watch.
Ann
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
Christine27360
USDA Zone: 4

Post by Christine27360 »

Hi Viola Ann - that is very cute -- cant wait to see the color this year! :)
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

That is an early picture from this year. Here's one taken this afternoon. It's looking good.
Attachments
DSCF0200sx.jpg
Ann
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Very nice :D
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Marlys
USDA Zone: 5B

Post by Marlys »

ViolaAnn - How did your beautiful sdlg end up the growing season? And soon it will reappear for 2011. Please post pictures on the fourm.

Have you checked out the Hosta Library / sport of Last Dance "Dance With Me"? I have young DWM and it is really a great plant.
Your's is very similar but can't be the same, since yours is a sdlg and DWM is a sport of LD - MM
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

That plant did very well throughout the season. The last pic I have of it was August 25 and it still looked pretty good. I've named it 'Dancing With Leila' in honour of my youngest granddaughter and also a nod to it's heritage and similarity to 'Dance With Me'. I'm hoping for enough growth this year to be able to divide it as a precaution - I had a few plants develop foliar nematodes last year. I'd like to grow this one in more than one location.

Ann

PS It took me 4 tries to get the picture small enough to submit. VERY tedious on the software I have which is why I don't submit very many pics to this site.
Attachments
'Dancing With Leila' August 25, 2010
'Dancing With Leila' August 25, 2010
Ann
kaylyred

Post by kaylyred »

It's a lovely seedling, Ann.

Where pictures are concerned, I love to use Picasa both for cropping and editing my photos and for uploading them and sharing. You might give that a try. If you direct link (right click a photo that you've uploaded online and select "copy image location," then come to the forum and click the [ img ] button and past the link between the tags) you can share photos of any size without worrying about cropping.

The link to my Picasa gallery is in my signature.
~ Karen

Check out Petiole Junction, my gardening blog!
See my little hosta list
I've also got a garden photo gallery.
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

If I could figure out how to get past the opening stages of Picasso where it looks for every picture on my system, I might use it. I have it and so far I hate it because it takes forever to do that search. Am using ACDSee9. But really prefer the various things on my old, old computer.
Ann
paul_in_mn
USDA Zone: 4b

Post by paul_in_mn »

ViolaAnn, start the pic searching on Picasa when you go to bed and let it run. Don't need patience while you sleep....... :wink:
Paul

Gardening is a way of showing that you believe in tomorrow.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Ann,

Wish I could help to show you how to do it. I have 3 programs to choose from here on my Mac that can all resize in one or two steps. First I adjust the image size, then save for the web by changing the save as (quality/compression) options to either 50%, medium, or web compression, depending on the program.

I've looked into various scripts for the forum so that people to put any file into the forum and have it do the work for them but they all seem even more complicated for users than it is now. I know Dave's has it built in, but he has a whole gallery system in place so it makes some sense that way.

Sorry to make it so miserable for you.

Chris
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

I wouldn't call it miserable. :-)

I just spend way too much time on the computer when I really should be doing other things.
Ann
New Topic Post Reply