Must have "Broodstock" and other breeding questions...

Want to share and learn about Hosta hybridizing and seed starting and growing? Then this is the place. Also check out our annual seed exchange held in late fall and winter.

Moderator: redcrx

mpedersen
USDA Zone: 3b

Must have "Broodstock" and other breeding questions...

Post by mpedersen »

So, just toying with the idea of trying some intentional hosta hybridizing, what would you say is "must have" broodstock to work with. Is there any reliable resource that identifies better or worse pod / pollen plants? Is anyone really making an effort to conserve the base Hosta species?

I figure those 3 questions ought to be enough to bring up loads of conversation.... ;)
Trudy

Re: Must have "Broodstock" and other breeding questions...

Post by Trudy »

Your 'broodstock' would depend on what type of characteristics you are looking for. If you are looking for streaked hostas a good stand bye that is easy to find would be 'Christmas Tree Gala'. For red/purple petioles you may choose something like 'Harry Van De Laar', 'Cinnamon Sticks' or 'One Man's Treasure'. For wavy leaves some good stand by's could be 'Queen of the Seas', 'Niagra Falls', or 'Marilyn Monroe'.

A source for buying hosta seeds is the Hosta Library Auction. There are many reputable sellers. This way you don't need to purchase the plant. Seeds are usually available in late fall.

Will be interesting what input other have.
Good luck with your hosta seed growing, it's very addictive once you get going!
Here is a seedling shot of our growing table outside from a few years back.

mpedersen

Post by mpedersen »

Trudy, lovely seedlings. Of course, I'd love to see stuff like that in my own some day. Thanks for a great first response! I too look forward to the responses of other Hosta Breeders!

If I'm reading these recommendations + categories correctly, I assume the implication is that these broodstock suggestions both contain the trait in question (i.e. red petioles) but ALSO are inclined / predisposed to passing that trait on to their seedlings?

Also, thought I might share a list of all the plants on hand here to see if maybe there are any "standouts" from a broodstock standpoint (including some of the plants that just got ID'd!)?

On Hand:
undulata Univivittata/Mediopicta
undulata Albomarginata
fortunei Gold Standard
fortunei Aureomarginata
lancifolia
Gingko Craig
Golden Tiara
So Sweet
Blue Angel
Krossa Regal
seiboldiana Frances Williams
Dream Queen
Minuteman
Great Expectations
Pizzazz
Pearl Lake
Tokoduma (came as a straight up tokoduma, but has golden edges)
Bright Lights
Sum and Substance
Crowned Imperial
Wide Brim
August Moon
Patriot
Big Daddy
Allan P. McConnell

-also coming...
June
Hanky Panky
Salute
Pineapple Upside Down Cake
Cherry Berry
Liberty
Amy Elizabeth
Emerald Tiara
Dark Shadows
Swirls
Summer Fragrance

One other followup - Are there any plants that should outright be avoided as broodstock (besides the obviously infertile ones?)
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi,

From your list, the only ones that really stand out to me that I know are easily fertile with easy to grow seeds are Blue Angel, Frances Williams, Big Daddy, and Salute. August Moon has been used as a pod and pollen parent sometimes as well. The rest are mostly infertile I'm afraid, or in the case of the light/white centered plants won't produce viable seedlings. I don't think Swirls sets seed easily either, though it is nicely streaked.

Remember the basics that in order to get variegated seedlings the pod parent needs to be streaked or have some jets of variegation into the center of the leaf. It is possible to get variegated or streaked seedlings from some good old Christmas Tree and even from Ventricosa Aureomarginata, but usually you need a fertile streaked pod parent for that. With variegated plants the seedlings will almost always be the same color as the center of the leaf - white centered plants will sprout white seedlings that will die soon after leafing out, green centered plants will have green seedlings, blue centered will have blue and blue-green seedlings, yellow centered plants will often have yellow seedlings.

The first thing you will want to do is just have fun starting some of the open pollinated seeds from what you have. This way you will get a chance to see how different plants produce different seedlings. If you still have some flowering plants, go out early in the morning, before the bees, nip off the stamens on the flowers that you want to pollinate and take the stamens full of pollen from your pollen donor and dab it on the pistil of the flower that you just emasculated. Some people also remove the flower petals so that bees can't further pollinate your cross. Make a tag or a color coded wire and tie it to the stem where that flower is located. If your cross was successful then a seed pod will form. Don't be surprised, though, if often the cross doesn't take. Not all plants make good pollen donors and not all plants will easily produce pods.

At this time of year the fragrant plants are starting to flower but your good pod parents might already be finished, so there might not be a lot to choose from right now.

Later in the fall we will have some seeds available on the forum here too, so you could try your hand at growing seeds at least, and we will often have streaked seed available. Then you can start some of your own streaked plants to use as future pod parents and start building your collection.

Hope that helps a little!

Chris
mpedersen

Post by mpedersen »

Thanks Chris for all that info. A lot of it mirrors what I've been reading up on.

Interestingly, I let one Gold Tiara flower this year, and it is loaded with pods. I may even have one pod that I intentionally set. I'm surprised it didn't get a mention. Also curious why, for a "species", all the lancifolia have not set a single pod. Suggests to me that they're not a true species? Surprising to see you mention Blue Angel...I let one bloom this year and it has not set a single pod yet. The Big Dadd'ys are all small and I assume they, as well as Salute, won't get to bloom this year.

Pod wize, I'm currently also looking at August Moon (had one OP pod show up), Patriot (again, a single OP Pod). Had a few off my Tokoduma Flavocircinalis. One pod came off my Bright Lights. Collected tons of my Mom's Frances Williams, as well as many off her unnamed plant (still haven't figured out an ID on that one). Is it "too soon" to try sowing seeds? I opened up the Frances Williams pods, still green, but the seeds are black and already loose in the pods. My Tokaduma and Bright Lights scapes were turning brown, so I pulled the pods...they MUST be ready.

Another question - I am NOT a morning person, but am a night owl. How "early" can I do my hand pollination? I.e., I can go out at 2 AM with a Flashlight and do them? 10 PM, after sundown?

I definitely would love to get some seeds from other growers - way back in the day I started doing pollen exchanges with Orchid Growers...was a great way to increase diversity.
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

You have to look at the flowers to see which ones have petals starting to open at night. You might have to open some yourself.
You can pollinate very late at night but you will have to collect your pollen the day before because the anthers won't be open on the new flowers, and if you wait until later in the day the pollen gets all taken off the morning's anthers by bees.
So pollinate at night and save the unopened anthers and mark where they came from, so you are ready the next night.
You can fold up pieces of paper or tin foil to save pollen in. One day is ok at room temperature, but if you want to save it longer then refrigerate or freeze it. If freezing, you don't want much of a filament because the moisture ruins the pollen when it gets mushy.
mpedersen

Post by mpedersen »

Well Dave, I didn't pre-bloom any flowers at 2:00 AM, but I sure bet my neighbors thought I was a bit whacky out there with the flashlight! It's raining tonight,and obviously it will take some time to see if anything set. I *think* it was "too early"...i.e. no pollen available. So, looks like I'll be refining / retrying yet again later this week!

Matt
New Topic Post Reply