Seed Timing and Viability - newb questions ;)

Want to share and learn about Hosta hybridizing and seed starting and growing? Then this is the place. Also check out our annual seed exchange held in late fall and winter.

Moderator: redcrx

mpedersen
USDA Zone: 3b

Seed Timing and Viability - newb questions ;)

Post by mpedersen »

So guys, in my reading it has been alluded to that you can sow Hosta seeds without any rest. However, it seems most folks are sowing seeds in the dead of winter. I have also read that you can harvest seeds even while pods are green (generally a NECESSARY step when harvesting Orchids to prevent contamination in lab culture, so not a new notion). I also have read that good hosta seeds are "black". Furthermore, have read that most people will try to leave pods on the plants as long as possible and simply wait for the scape to start dying back, at which point the harvest and dry out. Conversely, have also read that seeds can be viable as early as 3 weeks post fertilization.

Obviously, there's a bit of conflicting info up there. I've harvested a few seed pods from plants here where the scapes were starting to die back. I also harvested a TON of seeds from my mother's Frances Williams and the other ones that the jury is still out on (looking like Tokudama). These were still definitely green scapes, and they've stayed green while being kept in envelopes for over 3 weeks now. The seeds come out nice and black, some with definite "bumps" in them, but they all look "wrinkled".

I think about a week ago, I split some pods and tried sowing some seeds. So far, nothing. Of course, I did just the little "Jiffy" tray with the peat plugs, and I do plan on trying other methods. But, with so much possibly conflicting advice, I'm putting in to you all. Have I jumped the gun, or could I be trying to get seeds to sprout now? Are my "wrinkled" black seeds viable?

I have MANY more pods to play with this year yet. Patriot, August Moon, Golden Tiara, and now a bunch of my Allan P. Mcconnells have set pods too. Plus all that I have already pulled. If I need to wait until fall, or 2011, let me know ;) But I'd like to get some practice and maybe some success in the hopes of being more confident at trying other people's seeds this winter as they become available.

Thanks for reading the diatribe ;)
eastwood2007

Re: Seed Timing and Viability - newb questions ;)

Post by eastwood2007 »

Hi!

I'm no expert by any means, but I'll jump in here....

All hosta varieties are different. Some seeds can be ready earlier than others. The earliest I've heard of is 6 weeks, but this year has been strange with all the heat and I had black seeds in dried pods on my Queen of the Seas at about 4 weeks. Are they viable? I don't know yet.

My suggestion is, if you check your gardens frequently so you don't risk pods drying and dropping the seeds in between inspections, to leave the pods on the plants as long as you can. But you want to be sure and pull any before the first frost, as that does seem to hurt them. And yes, sometimes the pods turn brown, and sometimes they don't - again, depending on the variety. I think the general recommendation is at least 8 weeks to be safe. I've also heard that 8 weeks can be too soon for some varieties.

Seeds are viable when you harvest them. I know a number of people who have sown them right away and have success. Most people wait till winter so it gives them some 'gardening' to play with in the middle of winter. The other reason to wait being, that if you start seeds indoors earlier than November or so, they grow so large by the time you can get them outside in the spring, that they can be difficult to accommodate.

Different varieties of hostas have different germination rates, too. For instance, with Frances Williams, you could have a 90-95% germination. Some other hostas are considered nearly sterile and you may get one or none.

Also hosta seeds can take anywhere from 3 days to 30 days to germinate, depending on the variety. When you sow them, just cover very lightly, keep moist (always!!!!) and don't put them under your lights till you see signs of germination - it keeps the algae down. Temperatures ideally are 70-80 degrees. The warmer the temps - the faster the germination, but not more than 80. Depending on the type of lighting you use, the lights should be positioned just above your growing medium - within 2-3 inches of the surface. As the seedlings grow, you can raise the lights accordingly.

If you wait more than 30 days or so from harvesting to start sowing your seeds, they are best stored in the freezer in a dry airtight, non-plastic container. I mean you can put them in a paper envelope or something (so the seeds are in contact only with porous surfaces for airflow), but then you can store a bunch of them in an airtight container of any kind. If they are next to a plastic baggie or something they can retain moisture and rot. Be sure they have dried for a couple weeks perhaps before freezing, though.

Hope this helps...keep the questions coming if you have any! It's loads of fun and can actually be quite addictive. :lol: No, really! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
mpedersen

Post by mpedersen »

Charla, that all helps a ton! I still might have to post up some pictures of seeds to get some insight, but it sounds like I'm "par for the course" at the moment.
mpedersen

Post by mpedersen »

Well...I just noticed I have my FIRST HOSTA SEEDLINGS - some of my open pollination Tokoduma Flavocircinalis seeds have sprouted!
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

I should have posted this earlier: the (archived) FAQ on starting hostas from seed. The pictures may be missing, but the information is still there. The archives are a little slow to load, as well. I'm still hoping to put this info up at another site.

(you might also want to check out the Hosta Lingo page, listed on the 2nd page of the index at left)
mpedersen

Post by mpedersen »

Oh wow, that's a great additional link - thanks Tigger! I'm definitely having fungus issues in my "Jiffy Pellet" greenhouse, so I already had plan "B" in the works and sowed only a fraction of the seed I collected in there. I think I'll be trying some boiling water to sterilize growing media...seems easier than nuking it all. No?
New Topic Post Reply