suggestions -advice hybridizing

Want to share and learn about Hosta hybridizing and seed starting and growing? Then this is the place. Also check out our annual seed exchange held in late fall and winter.

Moderator: redcrx

R. Rock
USDA Zone: 3-4

suggestions -advice hybridizing

Post by R. Rock »

Hi,
Will Krossa Regal ever work as a pod parent?
Does it work for pollen?
Somehow, I would like to put plantaginea flowers/fragrance on a 6' Krossa scape...no need to bend over. That would really perfume the night air.

Lullabye, one of my favorite plants. It seems to be a NUN...in and out. I have crossed and recrossed hundreds of time w/o success so far. The pollen is gorgeous. Any luck?

Blue Haired Lady...the most beautiful floral display of any hosta; absolute perfect balance, crispness, flower size, and heigth of the scapes. Perfection at it's best :cool: . It spits everything back at me...and kinda says "Don't _ _ _ _ w/ my flowers!!! :evil: :hmm: "
Any luck either way?

What are a few things you are hoping for?
Be part of the solution
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: suggestions -advice hybridizing

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Rick,

For those big tall fragrant scapes, try working with something like Flower Power or Old Faithful. Getting them to set seed will be tough, but not impossible. Krossa Regal is very tough to get seed set either way, maybe impossible.

I've had luck using Blue Haired Lady pollen, giving some yingeri type seedlings. I haven't used it as a pod parent before.

I also really like Lullabye, but like you, I haven't had any luck either way.

Hope that helps a little.

Chris
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

I decided to go and check and noticed that there actually aren't any pods on Old Faithful. But Flower Power does have some huge seed pods. Krossa Regal and Regal Splendor have no pods at all, but Nigrescens has tons, which I was a little surprised about.
R. Rock
USDA Zone: 3-4

Post by R. Rock »

Hey, Thanks :D

I did get Krossa Regal and Plantaginea to cross. However, I bumped the cross today and it broke off. :???: The pod was about 3/8 of an inch long. It was full of seeds. It may do this, just not viable seeds. At the same time, it is the only pod I have ever seen on Krossa Regal or Regal Splendor. I cooked them both in a secret sauna for this too happen. :blush: :eek: :lol:

Also, Lullabye has set some pods. They are really small. I didn't keep track of these crosses. :-? I don't think they will be anything as they are very slow to grow and don't seem to fully develope. I am scared to crack one and see. So, I willl be patient.

My sister dropped off a kitty for us today. I am out working. Sarah locked the dog in my hybridizing setup. :arrow: :idea: :?: :| You can imagine what a three foot tail, a male dog and a new, intruding kitty cat did. My biggest disapointment is some very thought out crosses w/ a streaked Prairie Sky. :bawl: Then, she asks me for a smoke. Am I not the one that would need something to settle my nerves? I have given up on others thought processes. :-? I believe it may be time for a beer.
Be part of the solution
New Topic Post Reply