Hidden Cove - variagated babies? streaky scape?

Want to share and learn about Hosta hybridizing and seed starting and growing? Then this is the place. Also check out our annual seed exchange held in late fall and winter.

Moderator: redcrx

caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Hidden Cove - variagated babies? streaky scape?

Post by caliloo »

I have a Hidden Cove in a trough and it produced 2 scapes. One is all green, and one is streaky green, white and pinkish. I will try to save the seeds from both, who knows it might be something interesting, but my question is which is the more normal for Hidden Cove? I will try to get a photo........

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Hidden Cove - variagated babies? streaky scape?

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Alexa,

That's great that you got scapes on this one. I have a lot of trouble with Hidden Cove, myself, but wonder if it was just one particular batch that isn't growing well for me.

I'm not that surprised that Hidden Cove might have a streaky scape, or even a green one. There is a lot of variation in the leaves with lots of different colors jetting into the center. You don't need too much streaking into the middle to get a streaked scape, from what I've seen on other hostas, and just yesterday I was marveling at how wildly streaked Hidden Cove is this time of year :)

Hopefully it has some viable seeds too!
renaldo75

Re: Hidden Cove - variagated babies? streaky scape?

Post by renaldo75 »

Good luck with those streaky pods, Alexa!!

I found a streaked scape on a white centered hosta I acquired this fall. A narrow line of green going up one side of the scape & the bract leaf and a wider rosey pink band of color going up the other side. A little bit of green and pink on the 3 whitish pods. I can't wait to see what I get from them!! :D
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
New Topic Post Reply