Excited about growing Hosta from seed - Newbie

Want to share and learn about Hosta hybridizing and seed starting and growing? Then this is the place. Also check out our annual seed exchange held in late fall and winter.

Moderator: redcrx

Eva P
USDA Zone: 8a

Excited about growing Hosta from seed - Newbie

Post by Eva P »

Excited about Growing Hosta from seed - Newbie
Just planted hosta seeds that I purchased from a seed bank and one seed sprouted in four days! Know this is not the typical timeline as it is the only one showing and they were planted 10/19/10. From what I have read, it sounds like I am starting them early but just can’t wait any longer to get to see them grow... Since there is the one seedling thought, I needed to put the tray under florescent lights (had the tray on top of the frig originally).

Started the seeds in trays with domed lids and some of what I have read states that there is no need to water until seedlings have a couple leaves and others suggest to mist the soil daily… I soaked the soilless mixture prior to planting but want to make sure that I do not let the soil dry out.. I watch the tray and there is moisture on the inside of the lid.. and I believe the soil has stayed moist.

Your suggestions regarding watering the seeds would be appreciated!?
lykaon78

Re: Excited about growing Hosta from seed - Newbie

Post by lykaon78 »

Misting has worked for me and then I've transitioned to bottom watering once their in the 2 leaf stage.
Eva P

Post by Eva P »

Ok, thank you. I will mist to keep moist.
Appreciate your help!
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Bottom watering is best. No need to mist if you have them covered. The humidity stays just fine, if the soil is moist from bottom watering. It is the roots that need the water. Just be sure they aren't too soggy for extended periods.

Most important thing....

HAVE FUN!!!! :D
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
Eva P

Post by Eva P »

Thank you! I did mist heavily once as the soil looked like it was drying and I do have covers on the trays.

I am obsessed with watching the trays though, hoping to see more seedlings. It has been twelve days since I planted the first tray and now seeing little signs of more seedlings; first seedling that came up in four days seems to be doing fine.

This is so fun! :pumpkin:
Eva P

Post by Eva P »

Well I see I have "lots" to learn. First seedling that came up is NOT a hosta...dont know what it is but now that other seedlings are showing I know what they are suppose to look like :blush: baby hostas!
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Eva, how are your seedlings coming along? Any that you are excited about?

Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Eva P

Post by Eva P »

Hello Linda, Yes, seems I am excited about them all :D This is such a fun experience and they are growing well; finding that there is so much to learn though. I used too strong of fertilizer and burnt some leaves but with the help of hosta forums found out it was fertilizer and not the lights (as I had thought) so have that remedied.

Transplanted seedling trays into 72 cell trays..lots of work to plant and then keep watered. Now they are in 9 oz. cups so think they will be easier to care for.

First seeds i bought from a seed bank did not mentioned method of pollination.. seeing some variation in leaves. First of December planted OP seeds from a recommended grower and although they are very small and barely two leaf stage starting to see lots of variegation so that is exciting.

Thanks for checking in with me. Appreciate any tips you have.
Eva
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Sounds good :D
Growing seedlings in the dark time of year is fun.

Do not think you can start them to early - but you have to take care for them a long time.
At 4 leaf stage I try to give them a very, very light solution of fertiliser more or less every time I give water.

Only advise is: Inspring when you want to get them out in the garden, remember they are not used to sun or wind at all so protect them the first time.

Have fun
Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Eva P

Post by Eva P »

Thanks Pia,
It won't stay 50 degrees in our area for a long time...probably May so they will get many months of TLC; good thing I have a garden shed to move some to when they outgrow my laundry room :)
dash
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by dash »

Hi Eva,
It's exciting to hear someone else growing from seed, It sounds like your doing well and having a great time. This is my third year growing from seed and I finally invested in a heat mat and some good lighting. Had about 50 survive the first two years. I had a lot more to chose from this year, so I took seed from forty different plants. I started in early December and have made three plantings . I have about 150 growing on the table and running out of room fast... LOL I've got a couple of interesting ones but I also know some take years to show their potential. I get what you mean about being obessed with watching them grow. It's a lot of fun and still have other plants I'd like to start this spring. Good luck and thanks for sharing. Dash
Dennis
Eva P

Post by Eva P »

Hello Dash,
Already trying to figure out how I am going to make more room when it is time to repot again...too new to this to think about doing any more culling :)
I am using a wire five shelf unit and hung lights above each shelf so that works great.
Sounds like you must have a nice hosta garden!
Thanks,
Eva
New Topic Post Reply