Too early to start seeds?

Want to share and learn about Hosta hybridizing and seed starting and growing? Then this is the place. Also check out our annual seed exchange held in late fall and winter.

Moderator: redcrx

lykaon78

Too early to start seeds?

Post by lykaon78 »

Is it too early to start seeds? If so, when is the ideal time.
eastwood2007

Re: Too early to start seeds?

Post by eastwood2007 »

hI, lykaon78 -

It's never too early or too late to start hosta seeds. It just depends on what type of growing set-up you have.

If you start seeds now, the question is will you have accommodations for large seedlings inside before it is warm enough to set them out in the spring? Depending on the variety, they can be quite large by spring. That's the dilemma that faces most of us seed growers. It all depends on whether you have enough room, enough lights, or an earlier spring season.

I learned you can start seeds in the summer if you have a place to overwinter them.

Fun, fun, fun! :D
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
lykaon78

Post by lykaon78 »

I have a small closet operation and cull vigorously until I end up with 8-10 keepers. I was just concerned that if I started seeds now that I wouldn't have a dormancy period until at roughly 12 months into their life cycle. I don't know if that is a problem or not.
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

not a problem...if a seedling hasn't gone dormant, it can be kept growing thru at least one dormant season
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
New Topic Post Reply