Seed exchange?

Want to share and learn about Hosta hybridizing and seed starting and growing? Then this is the place. Also check out our annual seed exchange held in late fall and winter.

Moderator: redcrx

lykaon78

Seed exchange?

Post by lykaon78 »

I look forward to getting some seeds every year. Did I miss it?
steg
USDA Zone: 5

Re: Seed exchange?

Post by steg »

I haven't seen anything yet either. However, now is about the time I start getting ready.
To the world you may be one, but to one you may be the world.

My List: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=48366&p=425413#p425413
steg

Post by steg »

Finally got things ready to go in the basement. Any thoughts on a seed exchange similar to last year? Donations of seeds, payment to Hallsons to help the forum?

I still have some of mine from 2009 (didn't get anything last year - too busy). However, would like to try some newer fresher stuff.
To the world you may be one, but to one you may be the world.

My List: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=48366&p=425413#p425413
GrannyNanny

Post by GrannyNanny »

Sadly for seed exchange possibilities, I sowed all the hosta seeds that I collected this year. I was afraid to send any out, in case they turned out to be non-germinators like the ones I donated last year. I needn't have worried -- they're all coming like crazy, so now I wish I'd saved some to offer to the rest of you. Sorry! Phyllis
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi,

There didn't seem to be any interest, or mention of this sooner, so I just let it go. I was so busy last fall anyway that I only collected a couple things anyway, but I did also get some seed from the hybridizers group so I have some if people want.

If there are people interested in seed please post here and I can get a list together of what I have to offer. I'd be happy to share some for postage.

Chris
lykaon78

Post by lykaon78 »

Chris,

I'd be interested (if it wasn't obvious from my original post :>).

My wife even asked recently... shouldn't you be planting the stupid hosta seed soon. Too funny.
spencer1400

Post by spencer1400 »

I am getting ready to plant also in the basement. I would be interested.
kaylyred
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by kaylyred »

Chris, I'd be interested, too. Have light setup; will plant! :D

~ Karen

Check out Petiole Junction, my gardening blog!
See my little hosta list
I've also got a garden photo gallery.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi you guys,

I'm sorry it took me so long. I have the following seeds to share. Most came from the seed exchange at the hosta hybridizers meeting and some I collected last fall:

Rosedale Spoons - 3 packages ~20 seeds each
Ringtail - GONE
Lakeside San Kao - 2 packages ~20 seeds
King Pin (I think it is Lakeside King Pin) 5 packages ~25 seeds each
Liberty Bell - 1 package ~20 seeds
Streaked assortment, some from Neat Splash, some from William Lachman, some from Dorothy Benedict seedlings: 5 packets ~15 seeds each

Let me know what you want, these are just for postage. Send me a private message to let me know which you would like and I'll send them out to you.

Have fun!

Chris
kaylyred

Post by kaylyred »

Message sent. Thanks, Chris!
~ Karen

Check out Petiole Junction, my gardening blog!
See my little hosta list
I've also got a garden photo gallery.
Angel3K

Post by Angel3K »

do you send seeds to canada? I'm not sure if its regulated or so?
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

I don't think it's strictly legal to send to Canada, but most often if the seeds are tucked into an envelope, they will get through. Of course, during a postal Lock-out we wouldn't receive them.

Where are you in Canada? I have some seeds - lots really that I've not had a chance to sow yet.
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
Angel3K

Post by Angel3K »

Hi ViolaAnn,

I live in Hunters Point, backed to the NCC greenbelt off Trappers Park. I am 5 minutes away from Walmart SouthKeys- Bank & Hunt Club area.

With limited budget, and loving to plant more hosta ( i only have a 12 varieties), I am open to trying seeds.

Last week, a lady from Beacon Hill said she had two plants left over from a sale, I think I saw her name of facebook, and we met at Billings Bridge Mall. I bought the two plants: Janet and Kifu ko Mame for $5.00 each. I think that is a very good price, considering the nurseries would sell at least $10 a pot.

And I've been warned by many hostaholics about HVX, and it can be found on big-box retailers. Well, I got 3 pots from Walmart and 3 pots from Loblaws! Ouch! So maybe, quarantine these in pots for the next 4 years, waiting for HVX sign to show up.

So, I guess my method of collection is wait for nurseries sale, or some avid Ottawa gardeners who will sell some of their extra plants after division. Now, saying that, do you have some?

Angie
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

Angie - that's me. Glad you joined up over here.

BTW, I generally treat all new hostas as if they are potentially infected and wipe down my tools with Clorox wipes between tools. The difficulty with HVX is that it can be in a plant and not show signs for several years. If you develop a habit of cleaning your tools well, you won't spread virus from one plant to another.

In regard to seeds, they can be fun to try and sometimes you get surprises, but the vast majority of your seedlings will be plain green hostas with no particularly good traits. Be prepared to grow them for several years before you know what they will look like as a mature plant. And also be prepared to compost them ruthlessly.

Ann
Ann
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
Angel3K

Post by Angel3K »

Ann: what are the chances? You recommended this website to me, and meet you here!
I look at your hosta collection, very pretty!

Thanks Again, and hope to see you in another plant sale.

Angie
morgansrgr8

Post by morgansrgr8 »

Should we be thinking about which hosta seed to collect to give them next year? I know I wont have much but I will save some if there would be any interest. So far only 3 pods on Linda Sue, 5 on Komodo Dragon, A couple pods on Leading Lady. So far no pods on any of the streakers but I am pollinating every day. I keep trying. Last year I didnt sew any seed but had volunteers come up. One volunteer looks like the hosta I found it under. YUP a varigated seedling. At three leaves it looks like Linda Sue who I think is the proud mama.
Linda
I know I am past the point of no return but what a way to go.

My Hosta List
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

Well, I've never save seed from 'Spilt Milk' before but my local hosta nursery's site indicates it might give interesting seedlings. I'll have some seed. And for the first time I'll have seed from 'Ice Age Trail'. However, I doubt I'll get any from the other streakers. Definitely not from 'Lakeside Mom'.

What plants do people want seed from?
Ann
GrannyNanny

Post by GrannyNanny »

Maybe it's time to see how many folks are interested in exchanging seeds this year. We have sort of gotten out of the habit of doing it -- for a few years there, we were rabid about sending seeds all over the country and Canada, but it's been pretty quiet lately. I don't have many, but I'd be willing to send a few off if people want them. How many out there want to exchange? Phyllis
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

I will have some, but how many it's hard to say. Didn't have as many set seed this year and I'm getting better at cutting scapes if I've grown a few and they haven't done well. And surprisingly, given the long hot summer, none of the seeds are mature as yet.
Ann
morgansrgr8

Post by morgansrgr8 »

I have a very few setting seed but your welcome to them. I'm lucky to be getting 2 pods on a plant, most didnt set seed. Do have a few from swoosh to share if they ripen.
Linda
I know I am past the point of no return but what a way to go.

My Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply