Grow light questions

Want to share and learn about Hosta hybridizing and seed starting and growing? Then this is the place. Also check out our annual seed exchange held in late fall and winter.

Moderator: redcrx

lykaon78

Grow light questions

Post by lykaon78 »

Does the efficacy fade overtime? If so. how often should they be replaced?

Should I buy fancy ones or will the cheap ones put out the same amount of UV?
kaylyred
USDA Zone: 5a

Re: Grow light questions

Post by kaylyred »

I've been starting seed indoors for a few years now. I started my first hosta seeds this year. From my experience, plain old shop lights work just fine. In my two-bulb shop light fixtures, I use one cool toned and one warm toned bulb to provide a fuller light spectrum. I've run the same lights for two years and haven't noticed any real issues with the seedlings not growing as well, but I've heard more than one seed starter suggest that they should be changed annually. I run my lights from December until about May, and I have them on a timer keeping them lit about 16 hours per day. (I've seen hosta growers say they leave their lights on 24/7, which I haven't tried.)

I'm pretty sure you'll get several different answers here, so take mine with a grain of salt--I'm a relative newbie compared to some people who've been starting seed for years. But this setup has worked well for me so far.
~ Karen

Check out Petiole Junction, my gardening blog!
See my little hosta list
I've also got a garden photo gallery.
lykaon78

Post by lykaon78 »

Bumping this as I am interested in more responses <please>.
steg
USDA Zone: 5

Post by steg »

I have not changed my lights over the last 3 seasons. I haven't noticed any problems from not changing the lights either.
To the world you may be one, but to one you may be the world.

My List: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=48366&p=425413#p425413
GrannyNanny

Post by GrannyNanny »

I change my florescent light bulbs only when they burn out! I haven't noticed any diminution in light quality, but then I have a whole bank of lights, three deep, over my growing table, and I also drape a mylar "blanket" over the tops of the lights and down the sides, so light reflects from it back onto the plants. I also leave my lights on 24/7 right from the start. This keeps the temp at about 70 degrees under the lights, so the seeds germinate nicely, and then it gives me about a year's extra growth on the seedlings started in October by the time they can be planted out in May or June. Phyllis
New Topic Post Reply