what to do with REALLY small seedlings over the winter?

Want to share and learn about Hosta hybridizing and seed starting and growing? Then this is the place. Also check out our annual seed exchange held in late fall and winter.

Moderator: redcrx

ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

what to do with REALLY small seedlings over the winter?

Post by ViolaAnn »

Hi folks,

I never got my seeds started this past winter and didn't even sow them until mid-summer. There is SOME germination, but they are VERY, very small and still in the seed trays. I'm pondering what the best thing to do with them over the winter is. I'm thinking of actually burying the seed trays intact and seeing what growth I have next year. Does anyone have a better idea?
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
Pieter

Re: what to do with REALLY small seedlings over the winter?

Post by Pieter »

Ann, you might consider bringing them inside, under lights, grow them on and plant them out when the danger of frost is gone next spring.

Pieter
Pieter

"Never trust anyone who doesn't have dog hair on their clothes."

Pieter's Hosta List
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

Is that a viable option when they are so small? Might do it.
Ann
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Yes, definitely that would work.
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Think it is the best thing to do...
Exept for last winther I have only lost hostas bought too late and too small and planted in the garden ..or stayed (one only) in a tiny pot, so bring them inside or to a shead or what ever is possible for you.
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

In the future you might consider sowing the seeds outdoors if you are going to start them in the summer. I have a little better luck that way because our house is so cold in the winter that seedlings don't really stand a chance indoors, and then they are better rooted before winter as they are already in the garden.

I'm going to try winter sowing this year, though. I've been working with some crosses using a red stemmed seeding of mine which has shown even better results with its second generation, and now I have some new named crosses with that. So I'm going to try doing them indoors again this year.
morgansrgr8
USDA Zone: 5

Post by morgansrgr8 »

Hi Chris, Did you plant those seeds outside last year. I was wondering what to do with some of the seed that is starting to ripen now. I have some pods of Komodo Dragon but not sure if they are viable since the stalk died while the pods are still green. Our house is also very cold during the winter. We only heat part of it because the house is so large for just the two of us. So even starting vegies hasnt worked out. Is it to early to try to start hosta seeds outside?
Linda
I know I am past the point of no return but what a way to go.

My Hosta List
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

It was my question. I buried the seedlings in my compost and none of them survived the winter. Chris' suggestion of actually sowing them outside is likely a good one.
Ann
boops
USDA Zone: 6b

Post by boops »

My baby blue eyes is full of seed pods-If I plant some will they become a similar plant or will I get something entirely different?
My Hosta List

Do one thing everyday that makes you happy
GrannyNanny

Post by GrannyNanny »

I usually sow my hosta seeds indoors, under lights, by the middle of October. I keep the lights on 24/7, and by late May they are robust and ready to plant out in the nursery garden. I would think that, since your seedlings have not gone through dormancy yet, they'd be just right for putting under lights all winter. By spring you'll have the equivalent of 2-year plants. Even if your house is cold in winter, having the lights on-- and positioned just above the plants-- will keep that area at around 70 degrees.

Boops -- in answer to your question -- "what you plants is not what you gets" when it comes to hostas. Unless you have a streaked pod parent you are unlikely to get anything but green -- or occasionally yellow or blue-green -- babies. I say "unlikely" because I have a lovely hosta that is yellow with green streaks, streaking from the green edge, down into the center of the leaf, and it was a seedling from an all-yellow plant called "Prairie Gold". I registered it in 2008 as "Prairie Lightning"; it has kept its lightning-like streaks and has not reverted to a simply green-edged yellow hosta. So, you CAN get a variegated seedling from a solid pod parent, but it's an extremely rare occurance. Having said that, I think it's great fun to grow hostas from seed and just see what develops. Give it a try. Phyllis
boops
USDA Zone: 6b

Post by boops »

Thanks for the info-I have seed pods from Holy Mole, Baby blue eyes and pineapple upside down cake still on the stems in water, waiting for the pods to dry up so I can get the seeds. I hope I get something interesting out of some of them. I have grow lights-i'm going to give it a try. let you all know how I do. :D
My Hosta List

Do one thing everyday that makes you happy
New Topic Post Reply