Scape with green seed pods, what do I do now?

Want to share and learn about Hosta hybridizing and seed starting and growing? Then this is the place. Also check out our annual seed exchange held in late fall and winter.

Moderator: redcrx

Angel3K
USDA Zone: 5

Scape with green seed pods, what do I do now?

Post by Angel3K »

a friend of mine live in the country, at least his mom, and she got lots of hosta. During the long weekend, he come back with a boquet of hosta flower scapes, full of seed pods. His mom said that she cannot be bothered harvesting them and do something with the seeds. She just love the big mature hostas, unwanted seedlings is not something she want.

Now, I put it all in a vase with sugar water mixture and it is now one week at most just like a flower arrangement in my kitchen.

Do I need to change the sugar water every week?

I figure these green seed pods may go brown the black soon, and maybe hosta seeds come out of it.

Any advice on how to proceed?
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Re: Scape with green seed pods, what do I do now?

Post by ViolaAnn »

Keep it in the sugar water and change the water at least once a week or when ever it starts to look cloudy. You might also wish to make a new cut on the end of the stem each time you change the water. Good luck. It may take a few weeks.
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Personally I think that once the scapes are done flowering it isn't necessary to keep them in sugar water. Yes, you need to do that while they are flowering, but once they are all finished and all setting pods the seeds will ripen fine. I just put the scapes into paper bags and let them open up on their own.
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

I certainly had a number last year that did not ripen on their own.

But in this climate some of the most interesting varieties bloom way too late to ripen seeds outdoors.
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
New Topic Post Reply