harvesting seeds in the fall

Want to share and learn about Hosta hybridizing and seed starting and growing? Then this is the place. Also check out our annual seed exchange held in late fall and winter.

Moderator: redcrx

casagrande
USDA Zone: 7

harvesting seeds in the fall

Post by casagrande »

hello all. I am new, so please be patient with me. If I collect seeds from my hostas in the fall, can I then start them indoors right away or do they have to be hardened off in the freezer for the winter? sandy in nc
casagrande

Re: harvesting seeds in the fall

Post by casagrande »

casagrande wrote:hello all. I am new, so please be patient with me. If I collect seeds from my hostas in the fall, can I then start them indoors right away or do they have to be hardened off in the freezer for the winter? sandy in nc
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Sandy, and welcome to the forums.

Hostas don't need to be cooled or chilled before planting. They will germinate as soon as they are ripe, so the ones that you harvest through the summer and fall can be planted right away. Most people wait until mid winter, so they are easier to deal with for just a few months instead of several, but you can start them as soon as you want :)

Hope that helps!

Chris
casagrande

Post by casagrande »

Yes! thank you! I am so excited. I started seeds 10 days ago and they are starting to germinate. I cannot believe it. the paper towel method. I'm thrilled. I am also hooked. just sent for more seeds. yahooooooooooooooooooo!!
New Topic Post Reply