Some of last year's seedlings

Want to share and learn about Hosta hybridizing and seed starting and growing? Then this is the place. Also check out our annual seed exchange held in late fall and winter.

Moderator: redcrx

kaylyred
USDA Zone: 5a

Some of last year's seedlings

Post by kaylyred »

Here are some seedlings I started last year, which are looking good this year. No clue on their parentage because they came from "grab bags" from a breeder. ("Mixed streaked" and "Mixed rippled.")

My favorite streaker!

Cute yellow...

This one suffered some damage, but I hope it hangs in there. Great color and ripples so far!

I like the rippled edges on this blue. And look--a bud!

~ Karen

Check out Petiole Junction, my gardening blog!
See my little hosta list
I've also got a garden photo gallery.
ViolaAnn

Re: Some of last year's seedlings

Post by ViolaAnn »

Nice seedlings! I'll try to get to my other computer (where my most recent pics are and the photo editing software) and post a few of mine.
This year, I had a lovely variegated sport of my seedling from 'Little Red Rooster'. Quite exciting. And out in the garden, I've found an unidentified seedling which has a lot of white in the leaves - maybe too much to survive, but I'm watching it.
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
kaylyred

Post by kaylyred »

Thanks, Ann! They're so much fun to watch. I started these guys late last year and didn't get them large enough to be planted out until September, so I was worried they wouldn't survive. I was really happy to see them appear this spring.

Can't wait to see some of your seedlings! :)
~ Karen

Check out Petiole Junction, my gardening blog!
See my little hosta list
I've also got a garden photo gallery.
Justaysam

Post by Justaysam »

Karen, your seedlings look great. I plant out from 15 to fifty each year. The numbers are getting smaller each year as my space shrinks. Over the past 5 or so years at this house I've been able to see them from your babies to about 4yr olds. Some really jump up in size around 3 or 4 years and now are wonderful breeders for me. Have fun with them the potential on those are endless!
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

That's a wonderful group of seedlings, Karen. You're in for some great fun, watching them grow and change over the years.
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply