Anyone else growing hosta seedlings?

Want to share and learn about Hosta hybridizing and seed starting and growing? Then this is the place. Also check out our annual seed exchange held in late fall and winter.

Moderator: redcrx

redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Re: Anyone else growing hosta seedlings?

Post by redcrx »

Two little ones from last season that need potting. The label says Mardi Gras Parade on both but that can't be right - they have too much color in the petiole and one is frosted top and bottom. I may have mixed the labels with Designer Genes. The yellow one would match then.
Attachments
Mardi Gras Parade OP 13 15 00512.JPG
Mardi Gras Parade OP 13 15 00514.JPG
Mardi Gras Parade OP 13 15 00505.JPG
Mardi Gras Parade OP 13 15 00507.JPG
Mardi Gras Parade OP 13 15 00508.JPG
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
Carol O
USDA Zone: 4

Post by Carol O »

Ed, I wouldn't rule out Mardi Gras Parade, especially if they are open pollinated. I get red on lots of seedlings that are op.
That being said, they do look like seedlings that I have grown from Designer Genes, especially the more yellow one.
Here's a Kats beni x Designer Genes.
Attachments
2013 Kats beni x Des Genes.jpg
2013 Kats beni x Des Genes.jpg (22.95 KiB) Viewed 2523 times
sweetee
USDA Zone: 5

Post by sweetee »

Just starting to plant some seedlings. Life events have kept me from growing this past winter.
Thanks for everyone sharing their photos. I love looking!
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

Time to post some updates, as this year's batches are growing well. iPhone pics from this morning.

DH is particularly fond of the green/gold streaker in the 2nd set, but I'm partial to the ones showing more white/cream.

First set from a Don Dean streaker. The one on the left shows good red petioles. A very varied bunch. (Master Class seedlings at top)

Next set from Bee Courageous (I think), a Trudy Van Wyck plant. The two to the right are the best (with the aforementioned favorites).

And these are the Master Class seedlings, which we're hoping to grow into a mixed set of monsters. Need to get them out of the shade of Clovelly.
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

Something interesting showed up today. An OP of Lily Pad from 2012 flowered today. And the flowers are white like Crystal Chime.
Lily Pad OP seedling 12 - August 7, 2015
In this flower photo you can clearly see the different lengths of the stamen - a trait of yingeri types.
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
Carol O
USDA Zone: 4

Post by Carol O »

Love the shine on those. That's like 'Lily Pad.' Isn't 'Lily Pad' a yingerii type? I'm not familiar with Chrystal Chime at all.
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

Lily Pad is a hybrid of yingeri and is supposed to have round leaves hence the name. Mine has never had round leaves just ovals like these on its seedling.

That second one on the left in the first picture I placed in my "New Garden" space. It's budding up also.

I also have a plain green Gentle Spirit seedling from that same year with a scape for the first time. It will interesting to see the flowers.

Crystal Chimes is a yingeri seedling with white "spidery" flowers that I hunted down many years ago. It's never grown very well for me and looks pitiful this year also BUT it's still alive. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=56313
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

The Gentle Spirit OP 12 flowers have opened.
Here it is on the left compared to Lily Pad OP.
Gentle Spirit OP and Lily Pad OP - August 19, 2015
New Topic Post Reply