Seed search

Want to share and learn about Hosta hybridizing and seed starting and growing? Then this is the place. Also check out our annual seed exchange held in late fall and winter.

Moderator: redcrx

waldo
USDA Zone: 6a

Seed search

Post by waldo »

I am searching for seeds of H. Akane and/or H. Kokuryu, if anyone can point me in the right direction, I would be grateful.
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Re: Seed search

Post by redcrx »

I don't know of any. Anyway hosta seedlings don't come true to the parent. If you wanted H. Akane and/or H. Kokuryu you would need a piece of the true plant which may not exist anymore around here. Some folks like Jeff Moore have been hybridizing for red flowers and has one in TC that may come out next season called War and Peace.

Here are some examples of Jeff's work:

http://crab.rutgers.edu/~mchugh/frame09 ... 0Moore.htm
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
waldo
USDA Zone: 6a

Post by waldo »

Thank you for the response. I am not really concerned with having the true plant, I just would have liked to have the genes to introduce into my breeding program. I have been pollinating and raising hosta seed for over twenty years. I realize that the seeds would not be true to the pod parent, but I would have the genetic base for red flower color.
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Post by redcrx »

If I'm lucky I will have some seeds from H. Dostoyevsky X self which I made this season. H. Dostoyevsky is from Jeff Moore - (Flor Roja x Kokuryu) x (Exp 136 x Self). I have 3 pods coming along - I can send you some seeds if/when they are ready.

I have a lot of pods from Koriyama X Dostoyevsky. I could send you one of those also if you are interested.
Dostoyevsky - August 10, 2016
Dostoyevsky - August 10, 2016
Dostoyevsky - August 16, 2016
Dostoyevsky - August 16, 2016
I put Dostoyevsky pollen on this flower.
Koriyama - August 10, 2016
Koriyama - August 10, 2016
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
New Topic Post Reply