Why we do it

Want to share and learn about Hosta hybridizing and seed starting and growing? Then this is the place. Also check out our annual seed exchange held in late fall and winter.

Moderator: redcrx

waldo
USDA Zone: 6a

Why we do it

Post by waldo »

This seedling is one of many from this cross, but I pulled it and separated it because it is tiny as you can see (the reason for the dime). Ordinarily I would have discarded it as a cull, the others are in the five to seven leaf stage and about six inches tall, if you look closely this one has seven leaves which leads me to believe that it's appearance is genetic and not just failure to thrive due to lack of vigor. Many times seedlings are tiny due to a small insufficient root system and lack of vigor, I am hopeful that is not the case with this one. It has dark green leaves and the surface of the leaf almost appears to have a blistered surface which may or may not continue to look like that. Seedlings change dramatically for the good or bad, I'm hoping that in a couple of years I have a dwarf or mini worth sharing. Additionally are fragrant red flowers too much to ask? :D
Attachments
(Yoshinogawa X plantaginea)#1 X Dostoyevsky selfed
(Yoshinogawa X plantaginea)#1 X Dostoyevsky selfed
ademink

Re: Why we do it

Post by ademink »

Any update on this little fella?
Help! I'm being held hostage!

My Hosta List
waldo
USDA Zone: 6a

Post by waldo »

Well here is an update, after being outside in the sunshine this "baby" seems to be doing well all the while remaining very small. I have included pictures. I'm hoping to get it to flower this year, if Murphy will leave me alone. :D
Attachments
(Yoshinogawa X plantaginea)#1 X Dostoyevsky selfed seedling update photo
(Yoshinogawa X plantaginea)#1 X Dostoyevsky selfed seedling update photo
ademink

Post by ademink »

Oh my gosh - it stayed SO little! If it flowers, that will be unbearably cute. :lol:
Help! I'm being held hostage!

My Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply