Some yearlings...

Want to share and learn about Hosta hybridizing and seed starting and growing? Then this is the place. Also check out our annual seed exchange held in late fall and winter.

Moderator: redcrx

Pieter

Some yearlings...

Post by Pieter »

..those would be last year's seedlings of course.

This is a 'Hacksaw' OP seedling that I call 'Blue Me Away'. What can I say, it was a very windy day and I was blown away by the size of the darned thing, it's a whopper given its lineage.
Resize of P1180409_bluemeaway.JPG
This was the surprise of the season for me, a seedling out of 'Sea Octopus' OP that came back up with 5 shoots! I call it 'Octopus' Garden'
Resize of P1180411_octopus'garden.JPG
Here another 'Hacksaw' OP seedling, which I call 'Yella Fella'!
Resize of P1180413_yellafella.JPG
Pieter

"Never trust anyone who doesn't have dog hair on their clothes."

Pieter's Hosta List
waldo
USDA Zone: 6a

Re: Some yearlings...

Post by waldo »

Very nice especially 'Sea Octopus'.
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

They're fun. I'm reluctant to attach real names to seedlings until they're actually in the garden for further evaluation, but I do put shorthand abbreviations on them, based on parentage. And then I might make up names based on the abbreviations. (For instance, my crosses of Lightning Flash with Ringtail sown in 2016 are LFRT16-1, -2, etc. The best of those so far I'm calling Laff Riot.

David
Pieter

Post by Pieter »

Resize of P1180974_octopusgarden.JPG
Took a picture of 'Octopus' Garden' a few days ago and I'm starting to think that I may have its lineage incorrect. The more I look at it the more I think this is a 'Hacksaw' seedling, it reminds me in many ways of a 'Hacksaw' seedling I call 'Tousled Hair', pictured below.
Resize of P1190074_tousledhair.JPG
To top it all off I'm inclined to say the parentage of 'Blue Me Away' is actually 'Sea Octopus'...
Resize of P1190078_bluemeaway.JPG
These mix ups find their cause in how I sow the seeds out of their pods and it's more then likely that one or more seeds found their way into the wrong pot by accident...Guess I'll have to change my ways next time I grow seeds....
Pieter

"Never trust anyone who doesn't have dog hair on their clothes."

Pieter's Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply