Gardening In Helen Time!

Each member may create their own topic to this forum where they can then post plant lists, personal information pages, and/or photographs to share with other members. Please limit your entry to one topic per member. No selling allowed.
hagranger

Post by hagranger »

June 6, 2007
I've been busy around the yard working with the landscape to make it easier to mow.
There are depressions in the lawn where trees had once grown and the depressions need to be filled.
And, I'm digging out sod from around the foundation which will be replaced with mulch to keep the weeds at bay and make the mowing easier there.
Any sod I remove goes into the depressions and eventually I'll bring in some good top soil to fill in and level those out.
Several of my daylilies are producing scapes.
'Galadriel' was the first to bloom this year.
I'm also suffering from Serviceman Shock. The cable guy (not the comedian) came to my house Friday, June 1, and literally stomped several of my daylilies to the ground! I am still so angry about it that I can't even think about calling until I cool down a bit.
Today I happened to see the most beautiful ORANGE colored iris. It is growing in the yard of an old abandoned house near where I live and I was so tempted to stop and just bring it home with me.
But I didn't.
I am going to find out who owns the property and see if I can acquire one or two for my yard.
This past weekend I spent the day visiting family cemetery plots.
I traveled with my husband and his two sisters to a Civil War ancestor (great-grandfather) and to a War fo 1812 ancestor (great-great-grandfather) graves to clean up and plant flowers.
We were a week behind in getting the flowers in for the first time in 10 years.
Both graves are about 50 miles from Joan's house in a sort of arc that makes the trip west and back about a four hour trip (including flower planting).
I still have a couple of four-packs of double purple petunias to plant and a small ground cover called Trifolium repens 'Atropurpureum'. The name is 'Dark Dancer' that takes full sun to part shade and gets only about 6-inches tall and spreads about 12-inches. It needs high nitrogen fertilizer to bring out the purple color more ... It's hardy to Zone 4 (-30 F.). With 'repens' as part of its name it can be agressively invasive so it's best used in an area where you want it to choke out other stuf. The leaves are clover shaped with white summer flowers. It's going in the Farmers Market sedum and groundcover bed so they can all sort of fight it out for supremacy. Flower domination!
Helen
A day without laughter AND gardening is a day wasted ... oh ... and be kind to your children ... they will choose your nursing home!
hagranger

Post by hagranger »

June 18
Life is always full of surprises.
Gary (dh) I, his sisters Joan and Sally all traveled to Wanda's house for a wonderful hosta visit.
Wanda is fostering several of my hosta.
As I was walking around at Wanda's I realized how many of my hosta are from hosta friends.
Wanda has turned out to be the very BEST foster mom and I'm fearing that they will rebel if I try to take them from that beautiful garden she has created.
All of my babies looked wonderful! And she has an ideal spot for them with wonderful leaf mold and compost they can sink their "rooty feet" into!
And even my little "Foundling" that is a seedling I found last year next to the Korean Snow is doing remarkably well.
Over the winter a couple of hosta didn't make it ... but with that move late in the year it was expected, especially since a couple had been moved TWICE in one year!
Wanda just finished a nice pond and also has made paths edged with rock and timbers and logs ... so each bed is interesting as well.
And she has a wide variety of shade lovers so there's always something growing and blooming and you should see the seedlings tucked in under the larger hosta!
The photos I took of her gardens are all uploaded into the PC and I dumped the out of focus or odd angle ones.
I have a couple that are breathtaking with the way the sunlight is coming into the shot and the way the hosta are positioned.
We also had an opportunity to visit with Sally's great-granddaughter Abigail and Tracy (Abby's mom).
Gary was happy to get home today and has locked himself in the bedroom A/C! (smile)
I spent time as soon as I arrived home watering all the baskets and pots and containers and trimming up a basket of petunias and putting an asparagus fern in the center of it where it had died out. Can't beat asparagus fern for a basket refresher along with a cut back and trim up! Too bad an asparagus fern won't spruce ME up a bit?! (smile)
A day without laughter AND gardening is a day wasted ... oh ... and be kind to your children ... they will choose your nursing home!
hagranger

Post by hagranger »

June 19
Tuesday morning!
We finally had a beautiful and much needed rain that started last night and continued into this morning.
Everything is deliciously wet and the air has that after-the-rain smell that is so delightful.
I finally talked to the master gardener who has been working at the courthouse. I happened to see her on my way home and stopped to talk to her for a few moments.
She's a newbie gardener but has enthusiasm.
She was digging iris and transplanting flowers.
She looked like a little mud-puppy. Evidently in her master gardener class they never told her about "Digging Dry and Planting Wet." She was soaking down the soil, then digging the plants and was literally covered from head to toe with mud splatters.
Also she wasn't wearing the proper sized gloves. They were too large.
She was properly dressed though with a large sun hat and loose longer sleeved clothing. There is hope for her I think.
She also agreed to remove the yellow trumpet vine from the one bed. That vine is so insidious and I hate dealing with the roots and the way it spreads.
She's also going to help me divide and properly arrange the flowers in the oval bed this fall.
We need to create an oval bed that will be viewed from all angles because the bed sits in the middle of a huge expanse of lawn. So there needs to be a unifying theme of flower color and perennials that are repeated.
Yesterday I received a donation of 12 flats of flowers, etc. for the courthouse lawn from Farmer's Garden!
Red and white geraniums, dusty miller and asparagus fern -- all heat and dry tolerant plants, ideal and sturdy for a municipal building.
Also because they common plants and colors they are less likely to come up missing.
This morning's rain should also perk everything else up.
Thursday or Friday I go to pick out some more flowers for my own garden. I've been so busy with everything else that I haven't done my annuals yet!
Gary is making stuffed peppers ... a favorite of mine and I figure I'll eat and then go to the courthouse to work it off.
I planted a flat each of the red and white geraniums and a flat of dusty miller as an edger.
It's amazing how quickly those flats were used up and it still looks like I barely did anything ... A matter of perspective ...
Now only nine more flats to go.
When I came home I planted two large melampodiums, an annual that I dearly love.
And that's another day in Helen Time!
hagranger

Post by hagranger »

June 30 and July 1, 2007
Is it really July already!!!!
This has been a busy "gardening" weekend for me and I've been down and "dirt"y and enjoying it.
I had the opportunity to garden ALL day Saturday (yesterday) -- and I do mean ALL day -- with no interruptions while Gary and his friend Larry went fishin.'
I began gardening about 6:30 a.m. at the county courthouse. We do the military monuments in a red, white and blue theme every year and the Korean War monument was just installed this year on Memorial Day so it needed to be planted ... and I only had it partially planted.
Saturday I planted an additional one flat each of (red, white geranium) and asparagus fern by 8:30 a.m.
And then hauled all the empty pots and flats to Farmer's Garden where I picked up four more flats (red, white, pink) of geraniums and ... well, I basically cleaned him out of all the remaining geraniums he had.
He's no longer watering and told me whatever I could "scrounge" for the courthouse was okay with him. It's so nice to have connections with a grower who is generous and civic minded. He is the same person who prepares and hangs the flower baskets in the downtown area and keeps them watered throughout the summer.
And then back to the courthouse to plant all of the geraniums except for four violet ones called 'Shocking Violet' and a red one that isn't the same color as all the others and a salmon colored one that was planted as a
red and REALLY looked strange with the red, white and blue theme ... (smile) ... It was a non-blooming one that I planted thinking it was a red or white ... it wasn't red or white! ... I brought it home and added it to another salmon one that was in one of the other flats. I also have a Tricolor geranium that has a similar colored bloom so I planted it with that pot ... should look alright in about two more weeks when everything fills in.
After I planted at the courthouse I came home and sorted through a mound of soil that was filled with tulip bulbs that I'd dug last month and now have a 5-gallon bucket about 1/2 filled with bulbs and bulbets. Then I finished trimming up and planting the rest of the melampodium that I rescued from Farmer's Garden last week and cleaned up a bit around the garden shed. The shed is like a little red barn and it's in somewhat rough shape but is very salvage-able. Once Gary gets the new shed built the little barn will be just for my gardening stuff.
It was wonderfully cool and sunny out there all weekend! Just love it.
The only break I had Saturday was when I went for coffee and toast with friends about 9:30 a.m. and by 10:30 a.m. we were heading our own separate ways.
After breakfast I added two more flats of red and white geraniums to the Civil War monument on the county courthouse lawn to fill in where there were gaps. And, in the diamond-shaped bed, added four pink, and 16 more white geraniums and an entire flat of asparagus fern (10 plants). The bed is such a mis-match of colors and plants and odd stuff ... I added two more flats of red and white geraniums to the Korean War and the Vietnam memorials .... I am so amazed at the amount of flats that have gone into the three monuments, at the historic marker sign and that one diamond-shaped bed. The sign and monuments are now DONE!!! But that diamond-shaped bed could really use some more plants. I hesitate to add too many perennials because that bed has to be TOTALLY re-designed this fall.
The diamond-shaped bed is one that the Master Gardeners did as a butterfly garden and then walked away from it. Basically they did the project, received their certificate and then walked away! No maintenance work, and plants died and nobody bothered to replace them and several plants need dividing and ... well, this fall the bed will be different.
I did refresh a hanging basket and my afternoon/evening chores were to go through a flat of perennial speedwell/Veronica and prune them back and to shape them up. I had planned on digging the east side of the house which didn't happen ... just ran out of steam.
I also planned to plant some of the perennials but only managed to finish the watering and pull a few weeds.
I had my hair cut to just above the shoulders. It's a gardener's haircut ... I can wear it mussed up or smoothed out during the week when working or tucked behind my ears or one ear OR, just pull it back when gardening. I have just enough length left to pull it back ... except for this one piece that needs to grow out a bit more (smile) ... nothing in life is perfect!
I had every intention of weeding at the farmers' market garden this weekend but never did get there. By 7 p.m. Saturday I was "woofed" as Phyllis (Granny Nanny) is fond of saying.
There is always tomorrow ...
Today, Sunday I nearly lost a hanging baskets due to OVER watering ... I forgot to release the "tab" on the bottom of the basket after the two big rainstorms. I usually have one basket I forget but with only three hanging baskets this year you'd think I'd be more diligent! Geesh! The water also smelled a bit "sour" and the leaves curled ... I'm hoping it dries out and the plants recover and continue. It was so lovely with the various colors! Ah, a gardener's life ...
Must be that old-timer's disease!
I have to admit I over-did it a bit yesterday and today I backed off a bit. I really should be out there pulling weeds from the daylily bed, but the most I managed was watering and trimming up stuff.
I've been dealing with moles at Joan's (SIL) house. One completely circled a hosta that is now laying brown and crumpled on the ground. I don't see any sign of recovery ... sigh!
We've had two wonderful cool days. Today was nearly jacket weather and this evening it's a bit on the cool side to sit out very long without a jacket.
I'm hoping that this coolness continues for at least a couple more days ... the weather guy said it will be nearly 90 F. by Wednesday. I'm hoping he's wrong ... he's been wrong before.
I have so much garden work to complete including the one new bed on the east side of the house that has to be dug and several perennials tucked in there for safe-keeping. Perennials do well in pots for a while but there's nothing like being in the ground and I have some peonies and hosta that should come out of the pots and go into the ground as well as some lamium.
I've been getting up earlier and earlier now that the heat of summer is upon us. Mornings tend to be the best time for me to work in the garden although the dew can be heavy some mornings.
I have a pleasant surprise growing at the mailbox ... a deep purple veined mallow. I am still finding surprises and this was a very pleasant one. Mallow has it's own charms for an old-fashioned flower that in my opinion is prettier than some hollyhocks.
Re: tulips/perennial.
I consider tulips an annual. They never produce as nice a display as the first year and they really need to be dug every year and re-set because of the way the new bulbs form and move lower in the soil. The Monsella Tulip and some of the native species varieties are different but most of the new designer types I try to dig and re-do each year. The tulip bulbs I'm dealing with have been in the ground for years with most of the bulbs about the size of a ping-pong ball or smaller. There are many that are larger around and those I'll cull out and re-plant in a prominent spot. The rest I plan to put in a separate growth bed because there are some nice colors. If they make it, fine, if not I won't shed too many tears.
Re: fancy leaf geraniums. I love them! The new varieties are really coming into their own on the market! 'Tricolor" is another pretty leaf with a sort of orange-y flower that looks lovely with salmon-colored flowers. I have just one this year in with two geraniums that have that sort of salmony-pink color and it really makes a nice display. The thing I like the most about Tricolor is that the same deep orange-y salmon is in the leaves so both the leaf and the blossom complement each other. As you know, I'm not a fan of peach-colored flowers but a bright sunny pot full of them has its merits.
There is a new variety out there called Butterfly Lorelei that one of my other gardening friends has and loves. It has apple-green leaves with pink blossoms. I haven't seen it yet, but did see a really cute candy-stripe cherry red and white (blossom) flowering variety this spring with a lot of reddish color in the leaf. I'll keep my eyes open the next time I visit a garden center ... although I must admit the "pickin's is getting slim" out there at this time of year. As I said, Farmer's Garden has quit watering for the year and I salvaged what little I could of what remained but I won't go back again. And, Wurtzel's near Joan's house had only a few remaining fancy leaf geraniums and very few of the zonal standard reds and whites ...
I did rescue several pink-colored geraniums yesterday. Four were Patriot Pink (planted at the courthouse in the diamond bed yesterday) and the other is called 'Shocking Violet.' There were four left of each.
'Shocking Violet' is a bit too strong of a color for the "butterfly garden" this year ... so, I will either plant the 'Shocking Violet' ones in the green marble pots at my place or at Joan's house around her new flag pole base. And I have two "mystery" ones that didn't have blossoms opening ... so will have to wait to see what they produce. I hope to be pleasantly surprised. If they are red or white guess where they are going?
I also purchased a new annual plant today ... new for me. Actually, Gary really liked the looks of it and I bought one for the house and gave the "free" second one to Joan. Love those end of the season BOGOs (Buy One Get One) ....
It's Turnera 'El Dorado' (dark yellow flower, dark green foliage) and is supposed to be a heat and humidity lover ... hardy to zones 9-11 so that definitely means it's an annual here but the gal said I could possibly over-winter it. I don't know "where" with this small house!
But I will endeavor to persevere!
It likes being kept on the dry side of moist ... okay for this place and it grows about 10-16-inches with a spring to fall bloom. It does like a well-balanced fertilizer and to be fed twice a month in a container. I'm going to pot it in the pot that has the peony in it after I plant the peony.
Maybe tomorrow ...
I've been soooo happy being "dirt"y this past couple of days.
Hugs,
Helen
hagranger

Post by hagranger »

July 4, 2007
Couldn't let this day go by without wishing a Happy Fourth of July ...
Our little community (I now live in a town with 3,390 residents) has a lovely old-fashioned huge city park with gazebos and pavilions and even a historic village and an old-fashioned community center with a regulation ballroom in it!
Every year for several years now the two newspapers and the Meijer Department Store have donated to an annual Fireworks Display.
This town is like something out of a Norman Rockwell painting ...
It's about five miles from the larger city of 20,000 that we moved from last fall.
I am still missing my garden and every day there is one plant or another that I am missing or that I forgot to dig and bring with me.
No use dwelling on things I can't change.
At least I have my husband, alive and recovering well. He'll never be the "digger" he once was but each day he improves more and more.
Firecrackers are going off all over the place ... It's about 6:30 p.m. and the neighbors have been shooting off fireworks for about a week now.
We had a bad fire in the city we used to live in today. It started in the downtown about 6 a.m.
Two of my friends' businesses burned, five apartments gone ... one life lost, one badly injured when she jumped from a third floor apartment.
Ah, but his is a garden journal.
Even though Michigan is supposed to be in a drought situation, yesterday I was busy between rain showers working on the yard and doing some finish work.
I'm done planting at the courthouse ... now comes the fun of just "tending" the plants and keeping things looking nice the rest of the summer.
I didn't do much in the way of work over the weekend and spent some quality time Monday morning (July2) digging out the east side foundation beds of the house and mulching it in and planting a few perennials.
I also moved my Mexican pot into the dead dry corner on the east side of the house and put two geraniums in it with an asparagus fern and then planted asparagus fern in front along the outer edge with a bit of salvaged dusty miller. It softens that corner and the 'Sassy Red' geranium is there to distract the eye away from the desert conditions in that corner.
I also planted some monarda flanked by a perennial vernonica ... I have no clue what color the monarda is ... I'm hoping the standard red. But will be surprised no matter what.
I also moved two of my miniture 'dragon' roses to the east side where they will get more sun and heat.
The OVER watered hanging basket is recovering, but is in serious need of a trimming up.
Gary worked yesterday and Monday to put a water line to the east side of the house so I now have water available to the outdoors. He also watered a bit just to test out the hose and the water line and pronounced it "done." It took him most of the day with a few breaks but he accomplished it.
We still have a bit of work on that faucet spot, but it should be finished up soon. There is a nice stand of light lavender phlox in that spot that I would like to develop more. Always little surprises.
As I said, I was getting concerned about watering all the new plantings on the courthouse lawn as of Monday night and this morning woke up to find it had rained overnight ... so, whew! No more worries about how to fit watering into the schedule.
I've also been working on the daylily beds, pulling weeds as I get time.
I also have to mulch so will be dealing with that this weekend if everything goes as I hope.
Thankfully the temperatures are staying in the "live-able" range for yesterday and today.
We were supposed to get into the nearly 90 F. range today and now that's been revised to a high of 78 F., thank the Lord for small miracles! A perfectly wondermous 4th of July!
I finally planted ALL of the melampodium that was remaining. They were very dry when I got them and I trimmed back several plants severely. They recovered nicely underneath the large lilac shrub and now those are tucked into pots where they can spread out a bit and send down roots.
And two melampodiums ended up on the east side of the daylily beds. I also decided to plant the Turnera there beause the color of the flower is similar to the melampodium's color a nice dark yellow.
I now have four asparagus ferns, 6 misc. perennials, four 'Shocking Violet' geraniums, two unknown color geraniums and five other perennials that I'm waiting to see what their bloom color is to get in the ground.
Will garden labors ever cease? I hope not. I want to be gardening into my 90s and beyond if God will it.
I've been working with my garden quotes collection.
One of my favorites comes from Henry Beard and Roy McKie, "Gardener's Dictionary"
"Garden: One of the vast number of free outdoor restaurants operated by charity-minded amateurs in an effort to provide healthful, balanced meals for insects, birds and animals."
Every time I read it I think of my sister-in-law Joan and my dear husband, Gary ... and my own garden.
I collect garden quotes and especially from books I read one of my favorite books is "My Summer In A Garden" by Charles Dudley Warner. The book is a delight to read in the 1870's vernacular ... Warner was born in 1829 and died in 1900 and wrote the book about the summer of 1870 and it was published in 1871.
He was a friend of President U.S. Grant and Grant visited him before a Fourth of July celebration. (Another reason I'm mentioning it today).
Warner was a minister.
One of his observations is: "Nevertheless, what a man needs in gardening is a cast-iron back, with a hinge in it."
He's a real chauvinist and speaks about his wife like she's a little girl without a brain in her head ... but you can tell as you read the book that she, in her own way, knows about gardening and finds little ways to remind him that he has a long way to go to improve his skills.
Interesting how a woman could tend a garden for years and after her husband retires she suddenly knows nothing about gardening!
And, here's a quote from me: "Eternal gardening is the reward of liberty!"
Enough for this day!
Happy Independence Day and say a prayer for all those brave souls that fought and died to give us the freedom and liberty and allow us to pursue our happiness!
--Helen
hagranger

Post by hagranger »

July 7, 2007
I'm not going to be doing much at all in the garden this weekend and the mulching has been put on hold ...
Two hot days: today (Saturday) and tomorrow (Sunday).
I have one hanging basket to refresh and I'll do that after the heat of the day is off.
I just didn't get up early enough this morning to get it done BEFORE I went to breakfast.
We celebrated the Fourth with friends on their deck. Their house overlooks the park so there is a definite viewing area of the fireworks. Of the 158 shots I took I have about 10 that look like they will be reproduce-able. Of course I have to take the time to crop and see what happens after I crop and blow them up (increase in size).
We've eaten out a lot the last few days with people in town and people not working ... so it's been one of those weeks of more "relax" than work ... "relax weeks" are few and far between.
Tim (Farmer's Garden) called and told me whatever I could salvage from his "scrap area" pots I could have ... so I did. Several nice geraniums with some fading "bunny tail" grass and a nice "something or other" and some white with purple throat petunias and a reddish colored million bells and a large pot of dahlias. Most of it will end up on the county courthouse lawn. I'm not responsible for getting the flowers planted at the monuments, the front-entry sign and the diamond-shaped bed on the south end of lawn. The master gardeners get the center bed around the base of the courthouse.
I will probably have to water Sunday night. Temperatures in the high 80s today and tomorrow near 100 from what the weatherman says ... although he's been wrong before.
One nice thing about Michigan it doesn't stay hot too long nor chilly too long. Although I could stand the little chilly better than the "hot" ...
Gary was a sweetie and spent a couple of days working as he felt able to put a water line to the outside through the basement.
My watering chores have been greatly improved!
Well, one of the mystery geraniums has opened it's "red" blossom. I will have to take that and a mystery "white" to the courthouse lawn.
I have one more mystery geranium ... and a couple of mystery perennials that haven't bloomed yet.
One of the veronicas bloomed with a delicate pink and one is looking white. So I should be able to do a nice pink, white, blue display on the east side when I finally find out what all the colors are on all of those.
And there are three possible bachelor button-y looking plants that I need to confirm what they are ... there's about three of those. And something that looks a bit like a coneflower -- there are two of those.
Surprises in the garden ... delightful!
Farmer's Garden has been more than generous with the end of planting season plants. He stopped watering a couple of weeks ago and said I could have whatever I could salvage on the courthouse lawns.
So far, so good regarding Gary's heart recovery ... He just keeps stepping ahead.
We've been trying to walk as much as we can whenever we can and that's helping BOTH of us.
... Helen
hagranger

Post by hagranger »

July 14 2007
On July 10 we had a storm that just dumped rain on us. Then today, July 14, the day of the yard sale with my friend Nancy it rained all morning which meant we had very few people at the yard sale.
So ... we'll have it again next Saturday, 21, and we'll advertise it in a couple more newspapers. Gives me another week to collect up more stuff.
I had a wonderful time at the yard sale today even though we closed it a couple of hours early. Max and Nancy are dear friends and they are so much fun to talk to.
Nancy is one of those women, now in her late 60s who has done it all and seen it all and traveled and has so many wonderful stories.
She is an avid quilter and is learning how to do machine applique/embroidery quilt blocks. It's really impressive.
She also has a $6,000 computerized sewing machine!
I'm not a person who likes to sew. I'd rather garden and write and occasionally do little putzy type craft projects. But a domestic goddess I am NOT!
Nancy is the friend who consistently wins gold ribbons at the Fair and at the State Fair ... and is both creative and technically proficient with the design and execution of the quilts.
And SHE finds sewing RELAXING!
I find sewing a CHORE but I do envy women and men who sew and create wonderful works of art.
All of the gardens are doing well, so far. The rains have been coming at just the right time.
Last edited by hagranger on Jul 29, 2007 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hagranger

Post by hagranger »

July 25, 2007
For the past several days all I've managed to do is to water and pull a few weeds.
On July 22 I went to the courthouse gardens and deadheaded the geraniums and pruned things a bit. I even managed to pull a few weeds.
Other than that I've been a bit of a slug regarding anything "gardeny" ...
I am REALLY looking forward to the coming Hallson Hosta Happening this weekend.
hagranger

Post by hagranger »

July 29, 2007
Yesterday was the only day I could get away for the Hallson event.
We arrived about 10 a.m. and stayed until nearly 5 p.m.
I was very impressed by how much the place has changed.
The gardens have been expanded and all of the areas are more defined.
I was also impressed by how many people were there that were NOT Hallson forum people.
Chris and Brian were busy ALL of the time we were there with customers.
I love the place that they have for the new business. They have a wonderful spot on the downside of a hill and the site overlooks a large boggy area.
While at the event I gave Wanda several of my hosta magazines and also handed over my "hosta book" that lists all of the hosta on a separate page for each hosta with my growing notes and information I've gathered on each of the hosta. Each hosta is on a separate sheet of a form I designed. And then there are extra pages of information that I've gathered from sources.
It felt a bit strange handing over the book but Wanda is now the "foster mom" to my babies so she needs the book more than I do.
At the Hallson event I finally had the chance to see the hosta 'Dragon's Fire' in person. Beautiful! And a Dragon's Fire was auctioned ...
Dr. Dave brought a variety of seedlings and I did get a couple that Wanda has agreed to foster ... and I promised her I'd divide with her.
It was great fun seeing all the familiar faces and I'm already looking forward to next year.
I also had the opportunity to meet Chris' father, Chuck.
After we left the event I met up with my girlfriend, Linda, whose uncle, Jack Wolf, was the garden director for Hidden Lake Gardens for many years. He retired in the mid-late 90s. She had arranged for us to tour his private gardens. It was breathtaking! I would love to have gardens like that some day.
Maybe when I get the time I'll scan and post some photos.
Helen
hagranger

Post by hagranger »

July 30, 2007
Busy can't begin to describe my life lately.
I haven't really written anyone. The past couple of weeks have been scrambling for news items and attending meetings.
At first I wasn't sure I'd get Saturday off and then things opened up to allow Gary and I to go to the Hallson Hosta Happening about 1.5 hours away south of our home.
It was a get together of all the people on the Hallson forum -- particularly hosta people.
Next Saturday I will interview a real ghost hunter. It's a woman from Michigan Ghost Watch and they are coming to Owosso to do some hunting.
It's my first story with a real ghost hunter.
I've done some interviews with people who have said they experienced a haunting or about haunted places but never with someone who actually hunts them.
Do I believe in ghosts?
Not really, although there are unexplained or undiscovered reasons that things happen.
The Hallson Hosta Happening was fun, as always. I took over 100 photos and it kept me up late Saturday and early Sunday scanning and sizing everything down and then Chris (owner of Hallson Gardens where the event was held) wanted me to send him better resolution photos for a scrapbook he's doing.
I haven't done much here with gardening. Gary and I are watering to keep everything going.
Oh, I did purchase a Live Wire (a dwarf wiry grass) and an asparagus fern to put in a hanging basket with a red geranium that Gary wanted to keep. It's one that is a darker red than the ones I'm using at the courthouse and seems to be a more prolific bloomer.
The Climbing Night Owl rose bloomed. I question whether it's from the root stock because there are shoots coming up all over and I didn't have time to really look at where it was attached. Actually, I thought it had died and really sort of walked away from it. Then, the other day I noticed all this growth and today Gary told me I had a blossom. It has a dark purple edge with a white center. I will have to call my gardening friend, Esther, who gave it to me for more of a description.
It's supposed to grow 10-14 feet and bloom all summer so I am curious. It doesn't say how big the blossoms will get ... I have it on a large hand-crafted metal trellis just outside my window and I plan on keeping it trimmed to about 10 feet to encourage more blossoms.
I'm interviewing about 15 non-profits for an upcoming feature tabloid complete with photographs that will be published in October. So, the more I can get done now the better.
Last night I ordered a pizza because I didn't want to cook and as the delivery person was coming up the front walk I snagged my left foot on something in the hallway carpet runner and could not get my foot to move more than a few inches. So there I am snagged on the carpet yelling for the pizza guy to wait, yelling for Gary to help and Gary running to get a wire cutter to dislodge my foot and then telling the pizza guy to come on the front porch so I could pay him. By then Anne arrived and took the pizza to the kitchen while Gary cut me free and we determined that it was a FISHhook! So, that meant hobbling to the kitchen to continue pushing the hook through and out the skin and then Gary cut the back part of the hook closer to my foot and Gary was able to get the pliers on the hook end and pull it out!
He said he was happy I have a high pain tolerance. Me too!
It really didn't hurt that much just felt weird ... and it didn't start hurting until later after the swelling started up.
It was a new hook so no problem there so no need for a tetanus shot. It was so funny at the time that I had a hard time talking I was laughing to hard.
I only had a moment when I suddenly grew very warm and nauseated before Gary gave the final tug to get it out ... but that passed quickly.
I'm limping a bit but that should go by tomorrow. It will put a crimp in my weed pulling for a few days.
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

A fishhook!!! Somebody owes you an ice cream cone for that one. Yow!
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Post by Spider »

Be very careful with that wound!!! If it closes up wrong it could trap contaminant inside an create a tunneling puss wound with no escape. Not fun! Keep a close eye on it, new hook or not.
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
hagranger

Post by hagranger »

Tigger -- Hubby has been "extra" nice since the incident.

Spider -- I have been soaking the foot in peroxide and warm water and putting gentle pressure as my nurse sister-in-law instructed with an antibiotic and bandaging it to keep it clean and it seems to be healing fine now with no pain and the swelling has gone down ... so far so good. Thank you for your concern.
-- Helen
hagranger

Post by hagranger »

August 4, 2007
Is it ALREADY AUGUST????
Where does the time go?
I still have about 10 pots of perennials to plant!
The 'Night' Owl rose continues to bloom and to grow ... wonder of wonders the resilience of plants. I am constantly amazed when I get a dried up twig of a thing and stick it in the ground and then the buds start to swell and soon I have a beautiful plant.
This is the time of weedin' and waterin' ...
We could really use some rain ... but according to the 'Old Hands' gardening tips I've been collecting over the years "A wet August never brings a dearth of harvest" in other words. A wet August -- when things are drying down and ripening -- can result in a wet, moldy harvest.
Some more of the sayings I've collected about August include:
"A foggy August doth portend a snowy winter."
"During the Dog Days of Summer a wise gardener enjoys the sunrise" -- really quite a bit of good advise I think.
Another favorite is: "What July and August doth not boil September cannot fry."
It's interesting too that August 30 is the feast day for St. Fiacre who is the patron saint of men who garden.
And, on the 24th of August -- the feast day for St. Bartholomew -- the saying is: "If St. Bartholomew's be fair and clear; a prosperous Autumn is near."
I find it interesting that a lot of the 'Old Hands' Gardeners tie in sayings to various saints.
Tonight I interview some REAL ghost hunters that are coming into our city to do some ghost hunting at our purported "haunted sites"
And no, I'm not going to stay for the investigation ...
Helen
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Post by Spider »

:D I'm glad to hear it will be OK.
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

Oh my goodness Helen! I hope your foot is feeling better. That is something I never want to experience.

Many, many years ago my mother got hooked in the cheek. At the ER, she had to tell them how to get the hook out. :o
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
hagranger

Post by hagranger »

Aug 8, 2007
In late July, early August I turn into a slug.
The heat and I never agree on a good gardening time and the results of gardening really aren't pretty.
I sometimes wonder why I garden? I mean, dirt under my fingernails, broken nails, dirty knees and a sore back, sweat-soaked hairs and clothing (not to mention the aroma after a Digger Day).
But then I remember how pretty that variegated Helenium looks against the daylilies and the way the sun catches the spider webs after a rain ... or the "critters" that come to visit, not to mention the two-footed visitors who ooooh and aaaaah over how nice the garden looks while I'm walking and talking and pulling weeds and deadheading as we walk and talk.
Gardening is still in the weeding and watering mode with a few plants that still have to go in the ground ...
hagranger

Post by hagranger »

Aug. 10, 2007
I'm really struggling with "all things computerized" this past week. I've always wanted to put my garden stuff on the computer, but these constant struggles with this or that going wrong really gives me pause.
I'd hate to load more than 40 years of gardening records and stuff and find that it's all "disappeared" ...
And, there's something about having my stuff in binders all nearlty labeled and organized (to my way of organizing). And, then there are the various "pages" with notes scribbled on them and additional information about where and when and how much I paid for them and then the notes on how they did or did not grow in the garden.
There is something comforting about books. Something tactile and wonderful. In the dead of winter I open my garden books and retreat into sun-filled gardens.
hagranger

Post by hagranger »

Aug. 11
Within recent weeks I've been going through all of my garden photos and being very critical about what I'm keeping and what I'm throwing away.
And, I created a new file folder for all of the photos I've taken and sized to fit on the Hallson's Forun.
It's amazing how many photos were duplicates or blurry ... Up until a couple of weeks ago they were mixed in with my other garden photos so occasionally I'd try to upload one that was too big. Now I duplicate only the hosta and daylily photos and put one in my garden folder and the other I put in a Hallson's folder.
The recent rain was absolutely wonderful. It sure helped at all of the gardens.
If I get time I'll deadhead at the courthouse gardens tomorrow (Sunday).
hagranger

Post by hagranger »

Aug. 19, 2007
It rained all last night.
It's been raining off and all all day today (Sunday).
It's deliciously "cool" out there.
We've been harvesting vegetables for a few weeks now, tomatoes, cucumbers, squash ...
A lot of the other stuff like corn and green beans and such I harvest at our local farmer's market.
August is always a strange month in the garden. The harvest is coming in and that means that there are fewer and fewer days I can spend in the garden.
This is also a critical time for birds and other critters who need a constant water supply because things dry out so much this month.
It's also the month to start shopping for tulips and Spring bulbs ... as one season is fading there is the promise of a new one beginning.
I'm still not completely settled into this place. I've written volumes in my personal journal about my last summer in my former garden.
At age 53 I'm not sure I have another "garden" in me. I guess you could say I'm a bit depressed remembering everything I had in the old garden and looking out on a lawn that devoid of all but two straggly trees and a few plants lining the walks and about 20 pots of flowers and vegetables.
And, until things get more "settled" with my husband's health I don't know if we are going to be staying here or not.
I often dream that I win it big on the lottery and create a garden that goes on forever ...
Gardening to me is the most relaxing activity in the world and I can SEE what I've accomplished at the end of whatever project I've been doing, whether it be weeding or watering or planting.
And, there is a contentment sitting and watching the garden as the evening light darkens into night ...
I love having a garden and living life in the "slow" lane.
New Topic Post Reply