ViolaAnn's Hosta list

Each member may create their own topic to this forum where they can then post plant lists, personal information pages, and/or photographs to share with other members. Please limit your entry to one topic per member. No selling allowed.
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Re: ViolaAnn's Hosta list

Post by ViolaAnn »

more
Lakeside Zinger - new spring 2006. Nice little Hosta with unpredictable streaking in the leaves.
Lakeside Zinger - new spring 2006. Nice little Hosta with unpredictable streaking in the leaves.
Last Dance - new spring 2007. Sport of Summer Music. This is a nice Hosta.
Last Dance - new spring 2007. Sport of Summer Music. This is a nice Hosta.
Last_Dance.jpg (39.71 KiB) Viewed 3727 times
Lemon Frost - new spring 2007. Fast grower.
Lemon Frost - new spring 2007. Fast grower.
Lemon_Frost.jpg (30.99 KiB) Viewed 3727 times
Limey Lisa - new September 2005. Prolific bloomer.
Limey Lisa - new September 2005. Prolific bloomer.
Little Red Rooster - new spring 2007. Lovely red petioles, good growth.
Little Red Rooster - new spring 2007. Lovely red petioles, good growth.
Little_Red_Rooster.jpg (36.8 KiB) Viewed 3724 times
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

Another 5 and then I have to take a break.
Little Sunspot - new spring 2007
Little Sunspot - new spring 2007
Little_Sunspot.jpg (43.85 KiB) Viewed 3718 times
Lonesome Dove - new spring 2008
Lonesome Dove - new spring 2008
Lonesome_Dove.jpg (39.1 KiB) Viewed 3715 times
Loyalist - new spring 2006. Nice white-centred Hosta.
Loyalist - new spring 2006. Nice white-centred Hosta.
Loyalist.jpg (51.68 KiB) Viewed 3716 times
Mack the Knife - new spring 2004. I think this one needs more light and may move it.
Mack the Knife - new spring 2004. I think this one needs more light and may move it.
Mack_the_Knife.jpg (31.9 KiB) Viewed 3718 times
Marilyn Monroe - new spring 2006. Makes a 2' wide clump. Red petioles hold the wavy-edged, grey-green leaves so that you get a good glimpse of the dramatic, waxy-white backs.
Marilyn Monroe - new spring 2006. Makes a 2' wide clump. Red petioles hold the wavy-edged, grey-green leaves so that you get a good glimpse of the dramatic, waxy-white backs.
Marilyn_Monroe.jpg (35.75 KiB) Viewed 3719 times
Ann
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Post by Spider »

I'm enjoying your photo list. Keep up the good work :) ! I got Grand Tiara in the spring trade, and while it's still small, I'm thinking it may be a favorite when it gets its roots going. You have a nice one there.
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

Thanks, Spider. I'll have a look at yours when I get mine posted or at the next break.

Here's another 5.
Masquerade - one of my very first Hostas. It was so slow to come back after its first winter that I bought another. Very slow grower. I still have only two smallish clumps after at least 8 years.
Masquerade - one of my very first Hostas. It was so slow to come back after its first winter that I bought another. Very slow grower. I still have only two smallish clumps after at least 8 years.
Masquerade.jpg (40.15 KiB) Viewed 3700 times
Moonstruck - new spring 2007. Where I had it the first year was too sunny. The centers of the leaves melted out completely by the end of July. It seems much better with morning sun only.
Moonstruck - new spring 2007. Where I had it the first year was too sunny. The centers of the leaves melted out completely by the end of July. It seems much better with morning sun only.
Morning Light - new spring 2005. Another which melted out with too much sun. It also likes the location with morning sun only.
Morning Light - new spring 2005. Another which melted out with too much sun. It also likes the location with morning sun only.
Morning_Light.jpg (51.04 KiB) Viewed 3698 times
Mountain Snow - new spring 2006. Seems to be a slow grower - at least for me, but it promises to be lovely when it gets larger.
Mountain Snow - new spring 2006. Seems to be a slow grower - at least for me, but it promises to be lovely when it gets larger.
Mountain_Snow.jpg (31.27 KiB) Viewed 3696 times
My Claire - new spring 2006.
My Claire - new spring 2006.
Ann
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

another five
Obsession -  - new spring 2007. Nice green Hosta but mine needs to be moved. It's lost under the big Sun Power behind it and the Heuchera in front of it.
Obsession - - new spring 2007. Nice green Hosta but mine needs to be moved. It's lost under the big Sun Power behind it and the Heuchera in front of it.
Obsession.jpg (48.31 KiB) Viewed 3692 times
On Stage -  - new August 2006. A nice light Hosta to brighten a dark corner.
On Stage - - new August 2006. A nice light Hosta to brighten a dark corner.
Outhouse Delight - new spring 2007. Emerges totally white and gradually turns green though the white leaves have, so far, stayed streaky.
Outhouse Delight - new spring 2007. Emerges totally white and gradually turns green though the white leaves have, so far, stayed streaky.
Pandora's Box - new spring 2004. Another of the Baby Bunting family of mini's all grouped together.
Pandora's Box - new spring 2004. Another of the Baby Bunting family of mini's all grouped together.
Pandoras_Box.jpg (42.93 KiB) Viewed 3691 times
Patriot - new spring 2006. A nice white-edged variety.
Patriot - new spring 2006. A nice white-edged variety.
Ann
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

more...
Paul's Glory - new spring 2004. I love this one and it really stands out in the garden.
Paul's Glory - new spring 2004. I love this one and it really stands out in the garden.
Peanut - new spring 2008.
Peanut - new spring 2008.
Peanut.jpg (28.6 KiB) Viewed 3682 times
Peppermint Ice - new spring 2006. Another nice one. A good grower. It was divided spring 2008 to share with a friend.
Peppermint Ice - new spring 2006. Another nice one. A good grower. It was divided spring 2008 to share with a friend.
Peppermint_Ice.jpg (29.94 KiB) Viewed 3680 times
Praying Hands - new spring 2007. A rather unusual Hosta. Gets lost in the garden. This one needs to go in a pot so it can be seen.
Praying Hands - new spring 2007. A rather unusual Hosta. Gets lost in the garden. This one needs to go in a pot so it can be seen.
Princess Anastasia - new spring 2006. This promises to be too large for the space where it is and will be moved. Bought in memory of my violin teacher at the Eastman School of Music - Anastasia Jempelis.
Princess Anastasia - new spring 2006. This promises to be too large for the space where it is and will be moved. Bought in memory of my violin teacher at the Eastman School of Music - Anastasia Jempelis.
Princess_Anastasia.jpg (28.63 KiB) Viewed 3682 times
Last edited by ViolaAnn on Aug 10, 2008 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ann
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

another five
Punky - new spring 2005. A sport of Blue Wedgewood, the shape of the plant is similar, but Punky is green and gets progressively yellower throughout the season.
Punky - new spring 2005. A sport of Blue Wedgewood, the shape of the plant is similar, but Punky is green and gets progressively yellower throughout the season.
Rainforest Sunrise - new spring 2008
Rainforest Sunrise - new spring 2008
Rainforest_Sunrise.jpg (30.95 KiB) Viewed 3673 times
Raspberries and Cream - new spring 2008. An impulse buy. Love the wavy leaves with slight streaking in them.
Raspberries and Cream - new spring 2008. An impulse buy. Love the wavy leaves with slight streaking in them.
Red Hot Flash - new spring 2006. Red petioles. Is finally beginning to form something that looks like a clump.
Red Hot Flash - new spring 2006. Red petioles. Is finally beginning to form something that looks like a clump.
Red October - new spring 2007. Red petioles. Got moved into an area with too heavy clay soil and with all the rain we've had, was losing leaves. I moved it to a clay pot until I decide where to put it.
Red October - new spring 2007. Red petioles. Got moved into an area with too heavy clay soil and with all the rain we've had, was losing leaves. I moved it to a clay pot until I decide where to put it.
Ann
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

and yet another 5. Only another 35 to go...
Regal Splendor - new spring 2006. A lovely vase-shaped plant. May have too much shade where it is in my new garden as by this time last year it was blooming with tall flower scapes.
Regal Splendor - new spring 2006. A lovely vase-shaped plant. May have too much shade where it is in my new garden as by this time last year it was blooming with tall flower scapes.
Regal_Splendor.jpg (37.23 KiB) Viewed 3667 times
Remember Me - new spring 2006. When the leaves emerge, the centres are bright yellow and gradually turn white. Nice little Hosta.
Remember Me - new spring 2006. When the leaves emerge, the centres are bright yellow and gradually turn white. Nice little Hosta.
Restless Sea - new spring 2007. Wavy green leaves seem to be in motion.
Restless Sea - new spring 2007. Wavy green leaves seem to be in motion.
Revolution - new summer 2007. A gift from a friend to replace my first one which died.
Revolution - new summer 2007. A gift from a friend to replace my first one which died.
Revolution.jpg (50.63 KiB) Viewed 3668 times
Rickrack - new summer 2007.
Rickrack - new summer 2007.
Rickrack.jpg (53.71 KiB) Viewed 3669 times
Ann
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

OK. Here we go for the last 30 or so ...
Rootin Tootin - new spring 2008. Another favourite of my new ones.
Rootin Tootin - new spring 2008. Another favourite of my new ones.
Salute - new spring 2008
Salute - new spring 2008
Sara - new spring 2006. The name of my younger daughter. This one show promise of growing quite large. I've already divided off a section for my daughter.
Sara - new spring 2006. The name of my younger daughter. This one show promise of growing quite large. I've already divided off a section for my daughter.
Sara.jpg (42.18 KiB) Viewed 3655 times
September Sun - new spring 2006. Nice, enthusiastic Hosta.
September Sun - new spring 2006. Nice, enthusiastic Hosta.
September_Sun.jpg (53.66 KiB) Viewed 3656 times
Silver Threads and Golden Needles - new spring 2007. Interesting small Hosta, but the slugs seem to like it too.
Silver Threads and Golden Needles - new spring 2007. Interesting small Hosta, but the slugs seem to like it too.
Silver_Threads.jpg (51.29 KiB) Viewed 3655 times
Ann
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

next five -
Sitting Pretty - new spring 2007
Sitting Pretty - new spring 2007
Sitting_Pretty.jpg (39.15 KiB) Viewed 3652 times
So Sweet - new September 2005. Nice Hosta.
So Sweet - new September 2005. Nice Hosta.
Spilt Milk - new spring 2006. Saw an increase from 1 eye to 4 in 2008. And there seems to be more spilt milk this year as well.
Spilt Milk - new spring 2006. Saw an increase from 1 eye to 4 in 2008. And there seems to be more spilt milk this year as well.
Stained Glass - new spring 2004. Was moved in 2007 to a brighter location and is doing much better there.
Stained Glass - new spring 2004. Was moved in 2007 to a brighter location and is doing much better there.
Stained_Glass.jpg (49.09 KiB) Viewed 3649 times
Summer Breeze - new spring 2003. Sport of Summer Music and grows more enthusiastically than its parent. I like the bright yellow of this one.
Summer Breeze - new spring 2003. Sport of Summer Music and grows more enthusiastically than its parent. I like the bright yellow of this one.
Ann
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

Another five -
Summer Music - new spring 2005. This one has been in a corner which is too dark. It was moved spring 2008 into a brighter spot in a new garden and I'm hoping for better growth.
Summer Music - new spring 2005. This one has been in a corner which is too dark. It was moved spring 2008 into a brighter spot in a new garden and I'm hoping for better growth.
Sun Power - new September 2005. A large vase-shaped filler for this corner. It attracts attention immediately.
Sun Power - new September 2005. A large vase-shaped filler for this corner. It attracts attention immediately.
Surprised By Joy - new spring 2005. this mini Hosta is a magnet for slugs. The copper collar seems to help a bit.
Surprised By Joy - new spring 2005. this mini Hosta is a magnet for slugs. The copper collar seems to help a bit.
Sweet Innocence - new spring 2007. A sport of Fragrant Bouquet, the margins are quite a bit wider. I think this one may get quite large.
Sweet Innocence - new spring 2007. A sport of Fragrant Bouquet, the margins are quite a bit wider. I think this one may get quite large.
Teaspoon - new spring 2008. A cute little (at least for now) Hosta. I understand the clump can get large rather quickly.
Teaspoon - new spring 2008. A cute little (at least for now) Hosta. I understand the clump can get large rather quickly.
Last edited by ViolaAnn on Aug 10, 2008 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ann
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

we're into the final stretch now.
Teeny-weeny Bikini - new spring 2006. this is the smallest one I have. It's still only about 3 inches in diameter.
Teeny-weeny Bikini - new spring 2006. this is the smallest one I have. It's still only about 3 inches in diameter.
Teeny_Weeny.jpg (33.62 KiB) Viewed 3629 times
Tick Tock - new spring 2006. Nice faast growing plant which blooms profusely.
Tick Tock - new spring 2006. Nice faast growing plant which blooms profusely.
Tokudama Aureonebulosa - new spring 2003. Slow grower and looks exactly like its sport, Blue Shadows - at least so far.
Tokudama Aureonebulosa - new spring 2003. Slow grower and looks exactly like its sport, Blue Shadows - at least so far.
Touch of Class - new spring 2004. Another slow grower which was moved in 2008 to a brighter location.
Touch of Class - new spring 2004. Another slow grower which was moved in 2008 to a brighter location.
Twist of Lime - new spring 2008. Nice mini. Looks to be an enthusiastic grower.
Twist of Lime - new spring 2008. Nice mini. Looks to be an enthusiastic grower.
Ann
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

not too many more now...
Undulata - an early acquisition. It was labelled Joyce Trott when I bought it, not that I knew the difference. This is an old fashioned variety.
Undulata - an early acquisition. It was labelled Joyce Trott when I bought it, not that I knew the difference. This is an old fashioned variety.
Undulata.jpg (45.36 KiB) Viewed 3627 times
Undulata Albomarginata - another really early purchase - late 1990s. The green and white which everyone has. These are here forever as they are so entwined with tree roots as to be impossible to move.
Undulata Albomarginata - another really early purchase - late 1990s. The green and white which everyone has. These are here forever as they are so entwined with tree roots as to be impossible to move.
Venus - new spring 2006. A lovely green Hosta. In warm summers it rewards me in late August with a HUGE, triple, fragrant, white bloom.
Venus - new spring 2006. A lovely green Hosta. In warm summers it rewards me in late August with a HUGE, triple, fragrant, white bloom.
Warwick Curtsey - new spring 2006. Rapid growing clump. Blooms prolifically.
Warwick Curtsey - new spring 2006. Rapid growing clump. Blooms prolifically.
Whirlwind -  another early acquisition. I really like this one. Early in the season, the centre of the leaf is lighter in colour. Might also be lighter in brighter light. We'll see next year after we get our tree pruned.
Whirlwind - another early acquisition. I really like this one. Early in the season, the centre of the leaf is lighter in colour. Might also be lighter in brighter light. We'll see next year after we get our tree pruned.
Ann
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

This is the last one folks. Just 4 pics to go.
White Christmas - new spring 2006. This is a WONDERFUL hosta. Gets a lot of light and morning sun and has never melted out or sunburned.
White Christmas - new spring 2006. This is a WONDERFUL hosta. Gets a lot of light and morning sun and has never melted out or sunburned.
White Dove - new spring 2008. Very, very small. Arrived with several rotten leaves but is showing good new growth. I'm looking forward to next year.
White Dove - new spring 2008. Very, very small. Arrived with several rotten leaves but is showing good new growth. I'm looking forward to next year.
White_Dove.jpg (22.67 KiB) Viewed 3617 times
Wylde Green Cream - new spring 2008. I think this one will be delightful.
Wylde Green Cream - new spring 2008. I think this one will be delightful.
Wylde_Green_Cream.jpg (48.21 KiB) Viewed 3618 times
X-Rated - new spring 2007. Another great mini.
X-Rated - new spring 2007. Another great mini.
X-Rated.jpg (30.96 KiB) Viewed 3617 times
Ann
R. Rock
USDA Zone: 3-4

Post by R. Rock »

Hi!. Some of the best pictures and gardening skills of the white centered hostas. They are really performing well for you. I understand why you made the recomendations that you did. I really have a difficult time getting them up and established. I have moved them to various locations, it is either too much or too little sun. Just can't seem to get them to "pop w/ vigor". Thanks for having your pictures available.
Later, Rick
Be part of the solution
imagooch

Post by imagooch »

Re your First hosta - I think it is probably Clausa - I got one from Hosta Choice a few years ago that sounds like it
Anne
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

That's what it is identified as. The break through came when I realized the buds never opened.
Ann
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

For more recent pics - 2009, check out my galleries on SmugMug. They start at: http://www.violaann.smugmug.com/gallery/7617361_bLwdx
Ann
New Topic Post Reply