Tkzone7 ~ Tasha *with pictures*

Each member may create their own topic to this forum where they can then post plant lists, personal information pages, and/or photographs to share with other members. Please limit your entry to one topic per member. No selling allowed.
Tkzone7

Tkzone7 ~ Tasha *with pictures*

Post by Tkzone7 »

I'm Tasha. I'm married to a wonderful man named Jason. I'm a kitchen and bath designer for a local cabinetry shop. I'm 27 soon to be 28. I came across gardening about five years ago. Hostas became an instant obsession. So much so that we bought our next house based on how much shade it had. :D

We have since moved again (4 times in our almost 8 year marriage) and I had to leave behind a lot of my hostas. I really didn't think that the house would sell that fast. The new house has plenty of room for many hostas. And the few that I did get potted up many died. We moved about 70 miles north and there was a late freeze. So, I'm almost starting over.

As a matter of fact I only have 2 from my previous collection. Veronica Lake and Platinum Tiara.

I've already bought 9 this year. So I think I'm off to a good start.
Last edited by Tkzone7 on May 17, 2008 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tkzone7

Post by Tkzone7 »

Alright current list.

Austin Dickinson
Big Daddy
Brass Horn
Captain Kirk
Deja Blue
Diamond Tiara
Dick Ward
Earth Angel
Fire & Ice
Fried Green Tomatoes
Gold Standard
Golden Tiara
Great Expectations
Guacamole
June
Kiwi Full Monty
Krossa Regal
Lakeside Kaleidoscope
Lakeside Shore Master
Lakeside Symphony
Little Wonder
Minuteman
Olive Branch
Platinum Tiara
Queen Josephine
Rainforest Sunrise
Sagae
Shade Fanfare
Spilt Milk
St. Paul
Thunderbolt
Tiny Tears
Titanic
Veronica Lake

And a NOID that I believe could be Francee.

Sieboldii (I think this is mislabled, it was bought at the Master gardener sale and it has an incredible margin, it will stay outside the list for now.)
Last edited by Tkzone7 on May 30, 2008 11:16 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Tkzone7

Post by Tkzone7 »

Why did I read the virus x forum?
I bought several that are on the list as could possibly have HVX.
Last edited by Tkzone7 on May 17, 2008 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tkzone7

Post by Tkzone7 »

I see there are a few people that have read this. Please, feel free to post! I'm always looking for suggestions of which ones to plant together.

I'm going to go out and take a picture of the bed I started. Be right back.
Tkzone7

Post by Tkzone7 »

Here is the new bed we made Saturday.

I'm not sure if I left enough room, but it is plenty for now. You can see that one of the hostas was just waking up at the nursery, Shade Fanfare. I put it in the middle since I know it will be a pretty good size in the end. And you can tell I didn't think about the depth of the mulch when I was planting the plants. I can raise them up if I need too.
Tkzone7

Post by Tkzone7 »

Now for individuals.

He might be small now but I'm sure that won't last.

One that I have wanted for quite a while. I couldn't believe I found one this size at a local nursery for only $13!

One that I wish I had read the X virus forum before buying.

One that used to have and loved! It was a good performer no matter the time of year.

Another one that I wish I had read the X virus forum before purchasing.

I have never heard of this one. But, I need more small hostas and it was just so cute.

I know, I know. It is noted for dying and yes I have had it and it died before. But it is absolutely beautiful!

That is what I have planted so far.
Tkzone7

Post by Tkzone7 »

My supposed Sieboldii.

Tkzone7

Post by Tkzone7 »

I added 9 new ones today. Spent too much money but who cares. LOL

Brass Horn
Deja Blue
Earth Angel
Lakeside Shore Master
June
Olive Branch
Sagae
Spilt Milk
Thunderbolt
Last edited by Tkzone7 on May 24, 2008 2:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tkzone7

Post by Tkzone7 »

There were some beautiful Sum and Substance. But I think it's on the don't buy list. I just didn't want to take the chance of it having HVX.

I didn't get any of the mini's. You can tell some had been in heat too long. The leaves were looking kinda tired. But, I do want to add some mini's this year. We (DH and I) went on a tour of a hosta garden today and the use of mini's in the man's landscape made me drool. Tiny Tears was right in the ground and was so cute. He had a couple in pots as well, I would guess for back up.
Tkzone7

Post by Tkzone7 »

Got a very nice looking Fire & Ice yesterday. I know that one isn't the best performer. But my last one looked really good until the moles started to bury it. So I'm trying it again. And if nothing else it was only $5, no harm done.

I also bought all of the stuff to brew my Alfalfa tea. I'm going to go out (hopefully today) and put some alfalfa around my hosta.
Tkzone7

Post by Tkzone7 »

Well, one hosta is getting crossed off the list. Platinum Tiara will have to take it's final journey. This is one I LOVED. Such a bright spot in the garden.

Tkzone7

Post by Tkzone7 »

New picture of the garden. Which will be increased soon, thanks to the hosta buying spree I'm on. LOL

For only a few weeks after planting I think it has perked up! I believe it is thanks to alfalfa being worked in the soil and a couple of alfalfa tea drenches. That stuff is like magic. I don't know why it has been years since I used it.

Tkzone7

Post by Tkzone7 »

I thought I would share another passion of mine. Photography. This from a senior session I did, and one of my favorite photo's ever.

Tkzone7

Post by Tkzone7 »

Some from a garden tour. Oh, how I wish these were my gardens.

The prettiest June I believe I have ever seen.

A few of his mini collection.

A nice bank of hosta. And proof that my DH is wrong. You don't need companion plants for it to look really good. :lol:

A great small pond and waterfall.

And a wheelbarrel that has been planted. So cute and something I wouldn't have the guts to do in my own yard.
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Post by Spider »

Your garden is looking good. I see what your dog thinks of it though (looks like he's adding fertilizer, LOL!).
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
Tkzone7

Post by Tkzone7 »

No, she was sitting down looking (and barking) at the neighbor's. She was getting up when I took the shot. LOL And thankfully she is on the other side of the fence.
Tkzone7

Post by Tkzone7 »

Because of an amazing secret trade I get to add:
Fried Green Tomatoes
Minuteman
Tiny Tears

Thank you so much Steve and Deb! They are great appreciated!
Tkzone7

Post by Tkzone7 »

I got eight new hostas today. I have to stop to get ready for vacation now.
Tkzone7

Re: Tkzone7 ~ Tasha *with pictures*

Post by Tkzone7 »

So glad I made this journal two years ago. The list will help narrow down where some of the hostas could be.

List of ones coming up for sure this year:
Brass Horn
Fire and Ice
Fried Green Tomatoes
Guacamole
June (not 100% the tag is gone, but it looks just like June)
Krossa Regal
One of the Lakesides (not sure if it's Kaleidoscope or Symphony, they were planted near each other)
Little Wonder (over 20 eyes popping up)
Olive Branch
Queen Josephine
Sagae
Spilt Milk
Tiny Tears (has 13 eyes popping up!)

There are two more that the tags are gone. One is looking kind of large so I think it might be Titanic. It would have been planted near there and would have larger leaves, but I'm not certain.
Another could either be Christmas Pageant or the other Lakeside. I found the Christmas Pageant tag kind of close (I really need to be more careful with the rake) but again I'm not 100%.
Never have I had this many hostas fail to return, stupid voles. Never had them at my last house. This year I'm going to move everything that comes back closer to the house, where there isn't a vole problem. I'm sure they will find them but leaves don't gather next to the house, surely that will help.

I keep having to remind myself that we are looking for another house to buy so I can't go overboard, lol. It could take a long time to find the perfect house for us, but I'm going to try to be restrained. Always easier said than done in the end.
Tkzone7

Re: Tkzone7 ~ Tasha *with pictures*

Post by Tkzone7 »

Lots of progress today. There is a bed that has been rock and gravel since we moved in, in *cough*07*cough*. Yes, that long. I finally got my DH to clean it out and help me start to plant. We put some coreopsis 'Nana' in, 6 of them found the day before at Lowe's for only .75 cents! Not bad since they were almost $4 originally. And lots of daylilies went in. Still not done but it should be by next weekend, fingers crossed the weather cooperates.

I did remember to take a before shot in 07. The bushes at the back are now huge, and were placed right up against the house so they look kind of off. Not my fault I certainly didn't plants them there. Not sure I want to take them out though. Sorry it's so big, I forgot to resize it before.

New Topic Post Reply