BackerBunch Journal

Each member may create their own topic to this forum where they can then post plant lists, personal information pages, and/or photographs to share with other members. Please limit your entry to one topic per member. No selling allowed.
BackerBunch
USDA Zone: 7a

BackerBunch Journal

Post by BackerBunch »

I decided to finally extend this hosta bed out to the gate in the side yard.

What the bed looked like after DH cut down 3-4 small pine trees.

After I tilled up the ground, DH cut the front yard and dumped the grass clippings in the bed. I then wheelbarrowed some compost over and tilled it all up.

My 1st addition.

As the hosta comes up in the front part of the extended bed, I see ones that will be transplanted to the new part.

This is also the same bed that is edged with liriope.

But I'm slowly transplanting the liriope to the 'iris bed' and replacing it with "Stiletto".

ETA on 4/28/10
When I told DH I needed to move some hosta, he cut the fern back instead.

I'm going to take that to mean he wants me to buy some instead to fill up the extended part. :D
Last edited by BackerBunch on Apr 28, 2010 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brenda

JJ, Jake and Josie
BackerBunch

Re: BackerBunch Journal

Post by BackerBunch »

We had a lot of rain and snow last winter. Our veggie garden took some damage and some of our compost was washed away.

DH straighened up the back wall best he could and put in a little concrete footer.

The garden is now in and we cleaned off the bank to use it to grow our pumkin.

2010 vegetables planted:
Black Baby eggplant
Ma-Zu eggplant
Red bell pepper
Yellow bell pepper
Shishito sweet pepper
Germen tomato
Early Girl tomato
Straight neck squash
Calabaza pumpkin
Small Sugar pumpkin
Last edited by BackerBunch on Apr 28, 2010 10:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Brenda

JJ, Jake and Josie
BackerBunch

Post by BackerBunch »

Another 2010 project. Our house is built on a hill. We have a small patch of woods between our side yard and backyard and the hill is quite steep thru those woods. I complained a lot over the winter because when it was wet, it was very difficult walking down to the backyard and this past winter was very wet. It's only rained once since we put the rock down but it works great!

Brenda

JJ, Jake and Josie
BackerBunch

Post by BackerBunch »

Picture taken in March 2004. The iris' need to be transplanted to a better location.

After discussing and planning, DH & I start building the iris bed in 2005.

Once the blocks are in place and the area filled with compost, I dig up the iris', daylillies and shasta daisies and start the transplanting.

The plants love their new location. (We didn't like the red block/cinder block look so we used the red block in another location.)

Last fall I decided to work on the iris' old location which is the back part of the herb garden. After adding some more red block I filled it with compost and planted some greens (turnip, mustard, spinach). I only picked a couple of messes out of it before tilling everything under and planted coleus, (transplanted) Stella de Oro and a Columbine this spring.

The bed as a whole.

I told DH I would like to get a couple of chairs and a little table and make the part next to the house a little sitting area.

Just one more section of block to fill in. I can't wait to see how it's going to look after everything starts filling in.
Last edited by BackerBunch on Apr 28, 2010 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brenda

JJ, Jake and Josie
BackerBunch

Post by BackerBunch »

The same year we built the iris bed, we also built the vegetable garden.

Wow. I can't believe we've had the vegetable garden and iris bed for 5 yrs now. Where does the time go.....
Brenda

JJ, Jake and Josie
BackerBunch

Post by BackerBunch »

After DH & I made the iris bed, we decided we wanted a herb garden. (Edited to change herb garden's before picture.)

We had used up all the delivered compost so we had to buy some bagged compost when we bought the block. We couldn't afford to get all the block we wanted but each year we add a few more.

Now we have the iris bed and the herb garden.

The herb garden today.

Oregano
Chives
Sweet Basil
Thia Basil
Common Sage
Lavender
Lemon Balm
Curly Parsley
Flat leaf Parsley
Par-Cel
Thyme
Marjoram
Dill
Rosemary
Black Cumin
Peppermint & Spearmint in the pot on the stump
Clemetis on the arbor
A couple of tea roses
and 3 Cosmos thrown in for good measure behind the stump.
Last edited by BackerBunch on Apr 28, 2010 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Brenda

JJ, Jake and Josie
BackerBunch

Post by BackerBunch »

DH & I really didn't like the cinder block look. When we were finally able to purchase enough red block we extended the iris bed when we replaced the cinder blocks. DH leveling the ground for the block.

His 'supervisor'.

Much better now.

The iris bed and herb garden have soaker hoses. I noticed when I/we turned on the soaker hoses and forgot about them and the water would run off, the grass loved it. We would have grass on the far end of the side yard and near the deck steps. The poor middle of the side yard wouldn't. To solve that, I made another bed last fall. After pulling out what was left of the broccoli plants, I planted Tithonia and Henry Wilde Sunflowers. Soaker hose to be installed.

Not really a good 'before' picture of the side yard but it's the only one I could find.

The side yard today. (Along with the lawn tractor implements and the fact the grass needs to be cut. :roll: )

Brenda

JJ, Jake and Josie
BackerBunch

Post by BackerBunch »

A few years ago, In the upper corner of the front lawn, I wanted another flowerbed. (RIP, Billy. I still miss you.)

DH kept telling me the dirt was too hard to till up. I know my tiller is a baby tiller but it can handle more than you think. One day I got the shovel out, dug up the grass in the upper corner and started tilling. Later DH came up to see what I was doing and was pleasantly surprised to see the tiller doing it's job. After adding some bricks to edge it and some compost, we had our butterfly garden.

The Stella de Oro's were originally planted in this bed but the daisies and black eye susans were taking over so I moved them to the back side of the herb garden this spring. I had a slight accident while digging. Opps! DH fixed it though.

He also made this light too. I'm really proud of his handy work.

Brenda

JJ, Jake and Josie
BackerBunch

Post by BackerBunch »

My problem spot. The Liatris is taking over the Liriope and the Black Eye Susans are taking over the Liatris and Liriope.

I need a sunny spot to make another bed so I can transplant the Liatris but I have no idea where to make it. Not sure if I can save the Liriope.
Brenda

JJ, Jake and Josie
BackerBunch

Post by BackerBunch »

Most people would consider our front yard a problem spot because of all the clover.

We like the clover. How can you not when you have so many of these???

And if you look close enough, you can find one of these.

Brenda

JJ, Jake and Josie
BackerBunch

Post by BackerBunch »

My next project.

I still have some weeding to do but at least most of it is done. We're going to move the logs down to where we want the bottom of the bed to be. I'm going to get a Camellia and plant it in the larger space between where the logs are now and the black piping. In the middle of the space, I'm going to plant a varigated Gardenia. The tag on the varigate Gardenia stated it would get 2-3 ft high with a 6-8 ft spread. Hopefully, it will cover most of the black piping once it spreads. The clumps of grass at top is holding the bank up. I'm not sure yet what to put in it's place when I dig it up.

Brenda

JJ, Jake and Josie
BackerBunch

Post by BackerBunch »

Yay!!! Our yard sign came yesterday. DH attached it to a post today and put it up! Image

Brenda

JJ, Jake and Josie
gardengirl13
USDA Zone: 5-6

Post by gardengirl13 »

wow that's a lot of work! Looks great!
Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted

To see my photos please visit http://www.pbase.com/gardengirl13
BackerBunch

Post by BackerBunch »

Thanks, gardengirl13! Yes, it's a lot of work but it's a labor of love.
Brenda

JJ, Jake and Josie
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

What a wonderful garden in progress you have .. it is going to be very lush

Here 4 clowers are said to bring luck.. 5 clowers...LOL I do not know.

Did yu see the topic from Noreaster in the hosta forun.. he covered the concrete blocks with tufa
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=53186

Hope to see more pics during the summer
Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
BackerBunch

Post by BackerBunch »

Thanks, Pia! We had an extra wet winter and everything seems to be greener this year. And thank you very much for that link!! Noreaster's yard is awesome!
Brenda

JJ, Jake and Josie
New Topic Post Reply