HVX?

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

buster

HVX?

Post by buster »

http://www.hostalibrary.org/wx/wildbill.html

sure looks like it to me...or am I wrong?

anyone have a "Wild Bill"Hosta?

buster
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Well, I've heard that Wild Bill is not caused by Hosta Virus X. One thing about it that is a little different is that the coloring on gold leaves caused by hosta virus X seems to originate near the veins and go out from there. The mottled streaking always tends to follow the veins. On Wild Bill the color variations are more in between the veins and not just along them.

Personally, and don't get mad you 'Wild Bill' lovers, I don't find this kind of look very appealing :???:
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

I think that hosta should have been called measles or roseola! Those ones always look like an ill child to me and scare me away from buying them, so I'll wait till the jury is in from someone that gets one tested! :)
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
JoshS
USDA Zone: 4

Post by JoshS »

Wild Bill also turns solid green as the season progresses, which is not characteristic of HVX.
jmboyer

Post by jmboyer »

Honestly, I get that same HVX anxiety every time I watch my h. Kiwi Forest emerging in the spring. I know full well that KF is not virused, but unfailingly when the leaves unfurl in the spring I get a momentary emotional reaction to the blotches. What can I say? I'm a born worrier.
doublemom2
USDA Zone: 8

Post by doublemom2 »

Well... I have both Cynthia and Wild Bill... both have that splotchy look and I love both of them! From what I've heard and read, neither gets it's coloring from being virused.

The Cynthia that I have was given to me by someone who got clumps of it from C. Tompkin's mother before he even registered in 1984. Was HVX around that long ago?

Andi
Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
Lessadragon
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by Lessadragon »

I love my Cynthia and Wild Bill too. I just wish they would hold their colouring all season.
Lynn
New Topic Post Reply