Please tell me this isn't HVX

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

Kas

Please tell me this isn't HVX

Post by Kas »

I just noticed this a couple of days ago on my Fandance. :eek: This is my second year with this plant. It went directly into a pot, and I never cut off my scapes, so maybe it hasn't spread if it is HVX. What do you think?

Kas
Attachments
DSCF0264.JPG
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; and inside a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Kas, Are you concerned about the white spots on the leaf? It doesn't look like HVX. You would have green spots on the gold, sort of bleeding out from the veins, and they would most likely be bumpy. From what I can see on my tiny little computer screen, it looks more like mechanical damage of some sort, or maybe spots where the sun hit the leaves when there was a drop of rain or dew on it.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

I agree the gold part looks clean here and on Fandance it gets green along the veins. Although every cultivar looks a little different when it gets HVX the golds tend to show it only in the gold portion. After it has been infected for years that green in the gold will start to get bumpy.
Kas

Post by Kas »

So maybe it's just nutrient deficient then. That sure makes me feel better! Thanks, guys.

Kas
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; and inside a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
New Topic Post Reply