Spots: Could it be HVX?!

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

abc1

Spots: Could it be HVX?!

Post by abc1 »

I just noticed spots on some of my hostas and I'm wondering if it could be HVX infection. The one most affected is Undulata Albomarginata, and on either side of it June and Silver Crown have a few spots. All are well established plants and have shown no such symptoms in the past.
Attachments
Silver Crown
Silver Crown
June
June
Undulata Albomarginata
Undulata Albomarginata
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

There is some frost damage on the ends of the undulata, but the dark brown spots are fungal leaf spot. It occurs only during cool springs, especially if you have had a lot of moisture, and occurs most in crowded planting situations. You can treat with a general purpose fungicide, but the plants will grow out of it after the weather warms up and the soil/foliage dries out.

You may never see it again but then you might get another cool, wet spring and it will come back. It is really not considered a big problem but like I said, you could spray with a general purpose fungicide such as Daconil or even spray the area with a solution of hydrogen peroxide, 1/2 cup per gallon of water, sprayed as a foliar and soil drench, as a preventative.
Last edited by Chris_W on Jun 04, 2005 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

And I took a closer look at the Undulata and the fungal leaf spot is not from HVX, however, if you can get some closeup shots of those leaves I'd like to take a second look. I see the "ink bleed" pattern cause by HVX on a couple of the veins but am not sure.

So if you can get a closeup shot of a single leaf I'll look again.
New Topic Post Reply