Hosta June at Home Depot

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

Quiet Storm

Hosta June at Home Depot

Post by Quiet Storm »

Hi All,

Has anyone had problems with hostas purchased at Home Depot? The one near me (in eastern MA) has a fabulous display of Hosta June. The plants all look fine, but I am hesitant to buy. Would love to hear others' experiences buying hostas from Home Depot. I no longer buy them from Lowe's after a bad experience last year.
Gloria

I will breathe after my own fashion...
Henry David Thoreau, Civil Disobedience

My Hosta List
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Do a search for home depot under the hosta forums and you'll find info about them having had infected plants as of 2005 i believe. I've avoided them ever since, b/c they didn't remove plants here that were infected when told about it. So now, I just don't buy from them. Except for hardscaping stuff.

I won't buy fertilizer there anymore either, b/c I bought some one year and was sure if was wintered outside in their yard, but was told it wasn't. It was the name brand stuff and didn't do well as a fertilizer and only so -so as weed killer. Fresh stuff has never failed me!
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

I would not buy hosta from Home Depot, Lowe's or Walmart at all, anymore. You can't tell if the plants are clean, because it can take so long for the HVX to show up. When even reputable garden centers are showing lots of HVX, I wouldn't even consider buying at the box stores. Also, the price on June has come down quite a bit. I would only buy it from someone like Chris, or others who know about HVX and have taken proactive measures. The chance of infection is just too, too great. :(
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I would avoid buying hostas at the box stores too. I haven't touched one there since 04 or 05. :(
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Arlene

Post by Arlene »

Ditto. I look but don't touch! I used to practice "hosta rescue" especially at season-end, but no more! Only buy from safe places now!
Quiet Storm

Post by Quiet Storm »

Thanks everyone, for the info. I decided not to buy Hosta June from Home Depot. Not worth the risk.
Gloria

I will breathe after my own fashion...
Henry David Thoreau, Civil Disobedience

My Hosta List
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I think you made a very wise decision, Gloria. :wink:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
New Topic Post Reply