Mystery ailment

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

Marnpoo

Mystery ailment

Post by Marnpoo »

Three years ago I started buying more unusual (to me) hostas. I hadn't heard about Virus X, so I didn't know enough to clean my tools after each time I worked with my hosta.

Last year one of my three-year-old hostas, Sum and Substance, came down with what was unmistakably Virus X and so I dug it up and threw it away, being very careful to sterilize everything, including my boots.

But, like I said, I divided hostas three years ago after planting that Sum and Substance, and I didn't sterilize my tools because I just wasn't informed :(

Well, this year some of my older hostas are getting these odd "rusty spots".

Here's the sieboldiana:

ImageImage

Albomarginata

Is this Virus X, or am I worrying about nothing? I didn't see the classic Virus X mottling or ink stain along the leaves, so I don't know what to think. The tears in the leaves are from the quarter-sized hail we got yesterday. Gardening is not for the faint of heart.

If I have to dig them all up and pitch them, I will. It's an expensive and painful lesson about how important it is to inform yourself. Many thanks in advance for any help.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi, and welcome to the forums!

Those spots are not really anything to worry about. The plants might be getting too much sun or too hot, or might be too dry, but this time of year that is almost to be expected. Keep them well watered so that the roots don't suffer for next year, but other than that it sounds like you are being more careful now that you've experience the virus first hand.

Good luck!

Chris
Marnpoo

Post by Marnpoo »

Thank you so much for both the speedy reply and the kind welcome.

I'm very grateful for the peace of mind you've given me. I live deep in the woods in zone 3 and few things will grow for me. Hosta have been a real source of delight, flourishing where few other plants have survived.

After 30 years I must have over 5,000 hosta (most of them very plain vanilla sieboldianas, albo marginatas, Paul's Glory, etc.) The thought of losing those huge drifts gained through so many years of careful dividing and encouragement was terribly depressing.

We have had an unusually hot, dry two weeks with temperatures in the low 90's. That must be why I'm seeing these discolorations, which are new here.

Again, thank you for the peace of mind.
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Welcome , Marnpoo, to Hallson's! Sorry to hear you had to lose your S&S to HVX, but I'm glad that no signs are appearing on the pics you posted. Sounds as though your property (which must be quite large!) is ideal for hostas. Hope we'll be seeing more of you on the forums! :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

Welcome, Marnpoo. Sun scald in zone 3; that must be unusual!

By the way, what you labeled Queen Josephine is not (would have a cream edge). Could it be her sibling, 'Joseph'?
Marnpoo

Post by Marnpoo »

Thank you for the welcome to the forum, New To Hosta No More. I've been lurking for about a year, soaking up as much information as I could about tempting varieties from the rest of you here. I decided to join because it seems like a very welcoming, supportive community :)

We have 25 hectares of woods, but have only cleared about two acres around the house itself, leaving the rest forest. My spousal unit loves trees so "cleared" is a relative term and hence my attachment to hosta.

I have buckets of space and also buckets of deer who wistfully eye my hosta all the time. It's a challenge.
Marnpoo

Post by Marnpoo »

Tigger, we don't see sun scald here. It's rare to have it be as hot and as dry as it's been lately.

Thank you so much for the correction on the hosta name. Friendss give me the hosta they don't want, and I depend on them for the identifications.
New Topic Post Reply