Gyspy Rose is this HVX?

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

Carol W
USDA Zone: 4-5

Gyspy Rose is this HVX?

Post by Carol W »

When I received this in Sept it had 2 leaves, since then a 3rd leaf came up. Is it what I think? HVX? Or stress?

Clickable

Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Carol,

That is without a doubt Hosta Virus X. I got a batch of Gypsy Rose this past spring from a large wholesaler that also had HVX, which I have since destroyed, but unfortunately we will be seeing a lot of these hostas infected.

Let the person who you got this from know that they have a problem.

Sorry :(

Chris
Carol W

Post by Carol W »

Thanks Chris,
I was pretty sure it was HVX and not stress. I guess I better go out right now and dig it up. Pour bleach and hope that the other hostas next to it don't get it. Or should I just not even take a chance and dig up the whole lot?
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Did you plant them at the same time? If so, I would just keep a close watch on them, but if they haven't ever made contact they will be fine.

I wouldn't bother bleaching the hole, just don't plant another hosta there until next year.
Carol W

Post by Carol W »

Chris,
no the other hosta's next to GR have been there 6 to 7 years. Right next to GR is Fragrant Bouquet and Sea Dream. Both have always been healthy, good growing hostas.

I've been or tried to be careful and always checking over the last few years with mine hosta's since I learned about HVX, cleaning tools and washing between working from one to the next, I know the person where I got the GR is too.

I was able to contact the person whom I got the GR from and was told that it came off the older GR that they have had for many years and has never shown any signs of HVX, still not, but will be watching the plant closely over the next year.
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

Carol,

Sorry to hear about your Gypsy Rose. I lost mine earlier this summer as well and it had come from a very reputable nursery here in Canada.

Chris, my plant was removed in late June. Is one year long enough for the soil to be clear of the virus?

Ann
Carol W

Post by Carol W »

Thanks Ann, sorry to hear you also lost yours.

I'm going to have to send the leaf/leaves off to be tested, it's not showing that it's going into dormant yet, so I'm guessing it will be ok to send. I looked around on google and found a few places, one in Ames, IA the Clinic at IUS Extension at 351 Bessey Hall. Cost is $10 per sample.

Has anyone ever used this place?
New Topic Post Reply