Gold standard at Canadian tires

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

Canadian-hosta-girl

Gold standard at Canadian tires

Post by Canadian-hosta-girl »

for those in Canada (well quebec province anyway) i went to Canadian tires today as i was looking for shrubs and took a look at their hostas , they had a nice variaty i was suprised to see T rex sold there for example , they wore from 2 suppliers from the tags , their gold standard all had ink bleed , i dont remember the supplier name as i was in a hurry and didnt have my camera phone but it had a lady in garden attire on the tag , told the clerk about it quickly that they wore infected and everyone touching them would infect all the rest of all their hostas and the clients buying those would infect their gardens if they have hostas aleready their , the clerk is like 16 years old and so is the cashier , not a big reference , oh well....sad that someone is gonna buy that now as they of course didnt have a clue of what i was talking about.
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

........... :cry:

Can you send them some refernces... :-?

paper prints from this forum amd the HL ?

A 16 y o will just not try to understand :(
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Canadian-hosta-girl

thy wrote:........... :cry:

Can you send them some refernces... :-?

paper prints from this forum amd the HL ?

A 16 y o will just not try to understand :(
well i know people that are over 40 and wont understand that is a problem :roll: ;)

for me this place is out of town as i live out of town anddo not go there often, i should print out info and pic from the web and next time i see a hosta like that elswhere i will give them a printed brochure :lol:
Last edited by Canadian-hosta-girl on May 06, 2008 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

:wink: Great thing to do :D
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

What Canadian Tire store were you visiting?
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
Canadian-hosta-girl

ViolaAnn wrote:What Canadian Tire store were you visiting?
Canadian tire in Drummondville , in Quebec province .....i only saw gold standard with hvx , they had sum and substance but didnt show any hvx on them, the other batch like t rex and revolution came from another place because they had tags like the one i buy at my nursery....and they wore all looking nice ....

went to Rona as well the same day and their hostas wore beautiful and healthy there , they come from a quebec producer" les jardins paquette " and they wore all 9.99$
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

It's likely that CT stores in Ottawa would get Hostas from the same source as those in Quebec. I'll have a look next time I'm there. My local store has had an experienced older gardener looking after their garden centre the last few years. Don't know if he's back this year, [he's NOT] but I suspect he would take the subject of HVX seriously.
Last edited by ViolaAnn on Jun 14, 2008 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ann
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

I already started a new thread over on Hostas since I had difficulty finding this one, but I would say that all of the GS's at my CT store are also infected. I showed the symptoms to the manager and suggested that he read up on HVX on the Internet. time will tell whether he will do anything about it.

Ann
Ann
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

I've been away for nearly three weeks. Went into my Canadian tire store this morning and found more infected Gold Standard. Once again I pointed it out to them.

The sales person said she knew that one shipment had been sent back. Well hello - if one plant is infected, probably everything from that supplier is. Not sure they understand that yet.
Ann
Canadian-hosta-girl

i went to canadian tires last week in granby , and made a detour at the garden center and the guy was packing up the shelves as i went with hostas , OH LORD the sum and substances looked terrible infected , i told loud enough my husband so the lady next to him looking to buy them would here and go home empty handed that they looked terrible and the lady asked what was wrong i told them what was hvx for a few min and she thanked me as she as 90 hostas at home and didnt knew of hvx and left the hostas alone , so i was on my way out the lady and clerk called me back in and the clerk that was putting them on the shelf wanted me to tell him what was hvx and i spent abot 30 min explain to him and showing him his infected hostas and telling him since their all from the same supplier the other variaties wore probably all infected as well we listened and took them off and back in the rack and said he would write a report to the supplier as he is the one that takes care of the garden center orders ,,,yééé finally some hope , i then told him that the othe CT i went to had many variaties infected and he should now advise the other CT garden center personel about the problem .....i told him hvx is not treatable or curable and it infects every hostas in contact with an infected plant or hand that touched the infected plants and that it was at an epidemic point ....so hope he will learn moe on the subject and change supplier
New Topic Post Reply