possible HVX

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

steg
USDA Zone: 5

possible HVX

Post by steg »

Just looking for an opinion on this Gold Standard....

Sorry, camera phone is not the best. I didn't buy it, because it was questionable to me. I'm just looking for another opinion.

Thanks,
Mike
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Very much past questionable....full blown HVX. Glad you didn't buy it...hope ya washed your hands good, too, before ya touched anything else! :lol: :o :lol:

Sorry, that pic gives me the willies!!!
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
steg

Post by steg »

My guess was HVX.....since everyone here seems to encourage talking to the store - I did.

I went and found someone and told her I wanted to point something out with the hostas they had available. She was quite concerned when I talked about it - she hadn't heard of it before. I told her that plants with HVX can't be fixed and must be destroyed. That got her attention too.

She took the plant and was headed to a vendor who was there delivering hostas (not sure if it was the same vendor). I followed her (one kid on my shoulders and the other carrying "his" fern :D ). On the way we passed the store managers office and stopped. She explained that a customer had indicated this particular host was showing signs of disease. I went in to explain and he blew me off. Didn't think it looked bad - maybe some mold or fungus issue but nothing more than that. He gave me the "I'll look at it" comment and pretty much ended with that.

His computer was log on to the internet right there - I could see it. I could see he was busy checking his email and didn't want to be bothered. How much trouble would it have been for him to quickly search google for Hosta HVX.

I was just looking to make sure I was right (or at least probably right). Some of the older leaves on the bottom we in worse shape too.

I was REALLY disappointed as this is suppose to be a really nice nursery around here. We' re headed to Michigan twice this year. I think a detour might be in order - I'll just save my urge to splurge until then.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

That's horrible that this was ignored. At first I thought you were at a "box" store, but at an actual nursery? That is really bad.

Like Charla said, this is full blown, unmistakable, disgusting HVX. Your kids probably would have thought something was wrong with that one.

When people ask "Why should I be concerned about HVX?", this is what we should show them. Do they want ALL hostas to look this bad eventually?

Thanks for trying to talk to them.

Chris
steg

Post by steg »

Glad to know I was more right than wrong. The store manage was just crushing. I got more attention and concern from the lady I talked to first. I hope she pushes the issue more.

The worst part may be they're having a sale this weekend - 1/2 off hostas (12.99 to 6.50) from their flyer. I'm sure many will be unloaded.

I did catch a supplier tag on one of them. The supplier was out of Grand Haven, Michigan.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

I hate to speculate, but I've heard that Zelenka has had a problem in the past, and they are in Grand Haven Michigan.
steg

Post by steg »

I had a feeling you'd come up with the name....that's what the bucket said.

Shipped to Strader's Garden Center here in Columbus.
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Maybe you should contact the Dept. of Agriculture and report them? Might not do any good, but it just burns you up when a "reputable" business like that knowingly unloads infected plants to the public. :evil:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Carol W
USDA Zone: 4-5

Post by Carol W »

Joan I agree with reporting them but what really gets me is when a Nursery which should know better and doesn't care to even to prevent these HVX in there stores.

The picture Mike posted looks about the same as the one I pointed out and it was no big deal to the manager or nursery owner, can I say the name of the Nursery since there are a few in this area and only one doesn't care if they sell sick plants? Starts with an A! These hosta should never of been allowed in, in the first place the whole shipment should of been turned away.

I just might take a ride over there tomorrow and see if I can find a name of where their hostas came from, all I know at this time what the manager told me was these are grow in a field in MI.
supercat

why I won't buy hostas at straders!

Post by supercat »

I won't buy hostas at Straders. & I'm very hesitant at most of the other nurseries in the Columbus area. Unfortunately, most places I visit in central Ohio seem quite nonchalant about HVX. So, as a rule, I don't buy hostas locally any more. I make the trek to Wade and Gatton (where I was supposed to be right now, but the rain canceled the trip!!) or buy online from Chris.
Supercat
steg

Post by steg »

Supercat -

I think we're in the same boat too...

We headed to Michigan in about 2 weeks and Hallson's is on the list to stop at on either the way there, the way back (or if I'm lucky - both)

Too bad you didn't get to Wade & Gattons. We just stopped there a couple hours ago - rain and all (on the way to Cleveland). That place is unbelievable.

So much for resisting my urge to splurge a little. :D
jobranch
USDA Zone: 7B

Post by jobranch »

Think of this: what other kinds of plants do they sell that are sick. When searching for different types of plant virus on the internet, I came across photos of impatens (never sure I spell that right) with a virus. When seeing the photos I thought, "that is why some of my impatens have not grown well in the past". So, if a nursery sells sick hostas what else is sick?

PS - It is my experience that unless a nursery specializes in hosta, most are going to do very little when shown a sick hosta.
New Topic Post Reply