HVX ?

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

marciah

HVX ?

Post by marciah »

Does this look like a normal variation, or virus? all of my other ones are solid color, I think they are fortunei hyacinthia. thank you
Attachments
maybe virus.jpg
Pieter

Post by Pieter »

Welcome to the forum Marcia!

Don't be concerned about what you see, other people would welcome to have happen what is happening with your Hyacinthina: it's sporting!
Pieter

"Never trust anyone who doesn't have dog hair on their clothes."

Pieter's Hosta List
marciah

Post by marciah »

Thank you Pieter,
So, sporting is a good thing?
Marcia (covered in dog hair...)
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

It is sporting, but I can't see close enough to tell anything else from it. Any chance of getting a closeup shot of a couple of the leaves?

The lighter parts are definitely sporting. Gold Standard is a sport of Hyacinthina too, but it is a brighter yellow. This is a nice subtle variation.

And welcome to the forums!

Chris
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Looks like a lovely hosta to me!
Welcome ,Marcia! :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
marciah

Post by marciah »

Thanks to you all, and thanks for the welcome. Here are a couple pics of the leaves close up Chris.
What actually does sport mean? Is it different than reverting?
Attachments
hosta leaf 3.JPG
marciah

Post by marciah »

one more photo
Attachments
hosta leaf 4.JPG
marciah

Post by marciah »

This is the plant from which I took the division that is sporting. Why does only one division sport? Is sporting similar to reversion, but in reverse?
Attachments
hosta fortunei hyacynthina - big one.JPG
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

Hi, Marciah,

For definitions, both sporting and reverting are mutations of the plant, usually (in hostas) in leaf coloration.

A sport is when you get something "new" (at least unexpected) from a plant. A reversion is when it turns back into something like its parent plant (if your plant was originally a sport or mutation of something else). That means you have to know something about the plant's history.

Since nobody knows exactly where 'Hyacinthina' (a member of the "Fortunei" group of hostas, which botanists used to think was a species) came from, then any mutation of it is a sport. However, some of the sports from 'Hyacinthina' are quite well-known, like 'Gold Standard.' Yours may be heading that direction.
New Topic Post Reply