Is this Virus X?

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

Temptie

Is this Virus X?

Post by Temptie »

I believe this is a Patriot's fire. It has looked like this for at least 4 years and I've had it for greater than 8 years. I've just become aware of Virus X. I've only seen it in pictures on the net. Do I need to destroy this plant? Thank you, Temptie
Attachments
100_4550copy.jpg
Last edited by Temptie on Jul 29, 2008 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Temptie
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi there,

First, welcome to the forums!

If you are having trouble posting a picture feel free to email the picture to me at hallsons@perennialnursery.com and I can resize it for the forum for you.

Patriot's Fire and Moonlight go through some drastic color changes that often leave a lot of green patches as it turns to yellow. Years ago Moonlight was often accused of having a virus, but repeated tests of leaves with these color changes revealed no virus whatsoever. That might be what is going on with your Patriot's Fire, but we should be able to tell with a picture.

Chris
Temptie

Post by Temptie »

Thanks, I finally got the picture up on the original post. What do you think? Temptie
Temptie
baja220
USDA Zone: 6

Post by baja220 »

Tempie, show Chris what it looked like before you dug it. I think he'll find that interesting.
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

This could just be that color change I was mentioning. If the yellow parts start to expand and fill in so that it turns more yellow with less green then that's all that is happening.

I know it looks odd, but I've had a lot of Hosta 'Moonlight' (considered to be the same plant) look like this and tests revealed no virus present.

Hope that helps.

Chris
Temptie

Post by Temptie »

Thanks, I'll watch it for color change. Here is the pic of the entire plant.
Attachments
100_4549copy.jpg
Temptie
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Temptie,

I can see why you would be concerned, since most of the plant has already turned to yellow.

Can you get a closeup shot of the leaf at the 8 o'clock position? It looks like there is some lighter streaking, possibly along the veins. That one might be more telling if this is HVX.
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Re: Is this Virus X?

Post by thy »

Chris is it possible to make this sticky or something else ?

I would have dug it up in a NY second :eek:

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Temptie

Re: Is this Virus X?

Post by Temptie »

I'm sorry I'm so late with this. I had already dug the hosta up and separated the normal from abnormal looking so I'm not sure which leaf you are referring to. I left the dark and mottled looking where it was and put the rest in a pot away from every thing else. No really rational reasoning for doing this :???: Anyway... the test kit came and I carefully followed the instructions. My result was negative for the Hosta X virus. I realize there are a number of other viruses and such out there. If the the mottling doesn't clear up before dormancy arrives is it advisable to destroy both parts of the plant ? Here are the pictures of the test. Thank you, Temptie
Attachments
100_4786a.jpg
100_4782a.jpg
100_4795a.jpg
100_4797a.jpg
Temptie
New Topic Post Reply