HVX on my nice blue one????

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

Rosenzobel

HVX on my nice blue one????

Post by Rosenzobel »

Hello,

new Hostayear- same problöems than last year...or not!?!?!?!

My blue one hast got collapsing tissue. We had a bad Winter ( a few weeks with -22 C)..
Now I hope, that this could be from the frost?? Or is this HVX ?? Her the pictures of my (Halcyon)? these are the new leaves:
frontside:
backside of the same leave:
...could anybody tell me if this is the bad virus??

greetz
melanie
R. Rock
USDA Zone: 3-4

Re: HVX on my nice blue one????

Post by R. Rock »

I am not sure. I sure hope CHRIS will stay involved in this side of hosta. :roll: Just a note, I find some of what your pictures show in the Halycon family. Awesome pictures.
Be part of the solution
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Melanie,

Yes, that looks like HVX :( Here is what it looks like on Phantom, you can see that it is similar:
phantom3.jpg
And here is the virus on Niagara Falls. Again, this looks very similar to your blue hosta.
niagarafallsbumps2.jpg
I don't know good sources for clean, HVX free hostas in Germany and Europe. Maybe some of our other European members can help?
Rosenzobel

Post by Rosenzobel »

Hello Chris,

many Tx for your answere ...That hosta i took out of the bed yesterday...;-(((
sugar

Post by sugar »

Chris_W wrote:
I don't know good sources for clean, HVX free hostas in Germany and Europe. Maybe some of our other European members can help?
You can't go wrong here http://www.hostaworld.nl/ and here http://www.hostakweker.nl/

Both Jan and Marco took extreme measures to get virus clean stock. Hosta's in the average garden center are very often, if not always, infected
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Agree with Sugar

If you like to bye hostas here in Europe, those are the places :D

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Okay

Confused here, not the first time I know :wink:

It do not cross tre veins and I can not see the vvvv zig zag line... so how can you see it is HVX and not just casual bumbings :hmm:

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
planwerk

Post by planwerk »

Thats what I think. Hmm, pretty difficult thing. I sometimes have bumpings like this when the hostas (tardianas mostly) come up quickly during a warm spring.
Anyway, Halcyon is pretty easy to get, even bigger plants from a safe place.
Seebruck, Chiemsee, Germany
Zone 6b (526 m above sealevel, 1,5 m above lakelevel ;-) )

"Ein Leben ohne Hosta ist ein Irrtum"
frei nach Karl Foerster
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

Thanks for asking those questions, since I have been meaning to clarify this.

First, you are absolutely right, many times hostas that come up quickly during warm weather but then have cold nights can display something similar to this. However, the back of the leaves will have bubbling on them, and the distortion will be across the tip of the leaves, not parallel to the veins like in the pictures above. The big difference, though, is that the back of the leaves on an HVX infected plant will not have any damage, but cold damaged hostas that look almost the same on the top will have bubbled tissue on the back too.

Each hosta reacts to HVX differently. Some will discolor, others will only have distortion like you see here, and others won't show any obvious symptoms at all. This makes it tough to figure out sometimes.

Hope that helps!

Chris
planwerk

Post by planwerk »

Thanks Chris!
This picture (by noreaster) of an infected Halcyon looks different. It is more the bleeding type of symptoms, like the one we know from S&S and Striptease.

It would be very helpful if rosenzobel could have tested the plant (Melanie: i guess they do it in Braunschweig, Biologische Bundesanstalt für Land- und Forstwirtschaft).

That may help:
http://www.jki.bund.de/cln_045/nn_80444 ... __nnn=true

That means that Halcyon can show two different types of symptoms if infected with HVX. Or it could be a combination of ToRSV and HVX and perhaps another unknown virus. There is still a lot of work to do...

frei nach Karl Foerster
Rosenzobel

Post by Rosenzobel »

Hello- and many tX to all of you.
@ Planwerk: The halcyon is gone....But would be nice to know the exactly adress-so i could test 1 ore 2 other hostas that I separated ( they don´t show symptoms but i got them from local Garden Center 2 years ago and don´t trust them).

melanie
Rosenzobel

Post by Rosenzobel »

Chris wrote:
"The big difference, though, is that the back of the leaves on an HVX infected plant will not have any damage, but cold damaged hostas that look almost the same on the top will have bubbled tissue on the back too."

Can anybody show these bubblings on the back of a cold damaged Hostas?????( has anybody some pictures of cold damaged backs of the plant??) I don´t know the difference to the Halcyon i showed above...

thank u

melanie
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

Hi,

I don't think the hosta pictured at the top is actually Halcyon, but the different symptoms we see are caused by different breakdowns in the cellular structure of the hostas. Hostas naturally try to fight off the infection and are constantly trying to rebuild cell walls as damage occurs. Depending on how actively growing the leaves may be, how warm or cold the temperature (high temps can slow the virus), how many nutrients or how much moisture the plants may have, how concentrated the virus, and then depending on the variety, all will determine how the damage appears to us. The complete collapsing of tissue leading to the sunken look in planwerk's Halcyon picture will occur more often in cool weather with a very high concentration of HVX. The partial collapsing leading to distortion in the top picture is likely a lower concentration of HVX, plus the plant is probably growing a little faster early in the season and may be more actively fighting the virus.

I'll try to get some pictures of the bubbling tissue for you. I've seen some of this damage lately around here this spring, though not as bad as if they we had a complete frost.
planwerk

Post by planwerk »

I took some pictures of a Guacamole. This plant was divided in february and obviously damaged while doing it.
It comes from a tested and clean batch of Guacamole from the netherlands (van den Top).
The plant shows the symptoms we discussed on both sides, all other leaves look fine:

Top:
Back:

Hope that helps Mel'.
I'll go for the address you asked for when work isn't that freaky as it is right now.

Greets planwerk

frei nach Karl Foerster
Rosenzobel

Post by Rosenzobel »

@Chris: poooh took me some time to understand everything....my english is getting worse i guess...;-(
Thank u for explain everything..
@ Planwerk: also thank u- and Iám more confused now- because the symptoms you show , really look like the ones on my Hosta, but maybe the leavedamage causes this bumpling?? don´t know........hmmm -would be good to make some tests-but my halcyon is gone now.... :| :(
melanie
New Topic Post Reply