What's the latest on HVX?

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

FreakyCola
USDA Zone: 5

What's the latest on HVX?

Post by FreakyCola »

Since I haven't been on the forum in a couple years I've missed out on all your discussions. I just glanced over a lot of the HVX forum & read several, but I don't have time to read everything.

So do you think there's a difference now? Have the Holland growers taken it seriously?

Reason I'm asking is I was surprised recently when I visited this small nursery and the owner told me to be careful when buying hostas coz there was this virus going around in them. When I said I knew all about it we had a nice long chat. He was under the impression they had it under control, according to the government inspector, I think he said was from the Department of Natural Resources.

I'm still seeing what I think are diseased plants at the same places I've seen them before so I don't think anyone has it under control.
Ellen
steg

Re: What's the latest on HVX?

Post by steg »

I don't think it's under control at all. It can be tested for and hopefully most suppliers are aware/watching/checking for it. I've gone as far as calling the supplier where I like to buy things on occasion. We had a nice talk about HVX. He's certainly aware of it and test for if anything looks suspicious. Nice to know. He also asked me to call him if I see anything of his that looks bad. That was good to hear too. That being said, I haven't bought anything there this year as I know one of their other suppliers is bad.

I think those who deal with hostas on regular basis - like Hallsons - are the becoming the few places I'd buy from. Most people are still unaware and the big shops will buy low and sell with the intent of pushing volume over quality.
To the world you may be one, but to one you may be the world.

My List: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=48366&p=425413#p425413
jobranch
USDA Zone: 7B

Post by jobranch »

In my neck of the woods, I have seen very little of it at big box stores this season (I saw a lot of it last season). I was at one today and saw one Gold Standard that had symptoms - one out of about 100 hostas. But you just don't know how many more are infected and not showing symptoms yet :( .
Wheasie

Post by Wheasie »

I too have not been on the forum in a LONG time. I do not see 'Stained Glass' on the lists but mine is looking pretty funky and suspicious this year. How can I find out if it is infected????

Wheasie :???:
jobranch
USDA Zone: 7B

Post by jobranch »

You can post a photo or you can purchase the HVX test strips - see the link below. $27.50 buys 5 test strips. Chris is very good at looking at photos and giving a pretty good determination.

https://orders.agdia.com/InventoryD.asp ... 600&loc=IN
Wheasie

Post by Wheasie »

OK - I'm attaching pictures of my 'Stained Glass' and am bracing myself for the worst. I'm not a great photographer so excuse the blurry images. Thanks for taking a look and your advice.

Wheasie

Uh-Oh - file is too big. Does anyone know how to get it down to the allowed size??? Or send me an email address and I will send it.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi,

You can email it to me at hallsons@perennialnursery.com I'll take a look and also post the picture for you.

Chris
Wheasie

Post by Wheasie »

Chris has determined, based on the poor-quality photos sent to him, that my 'Stained Glass' is infected. DRATS! So I'm sitting a potted plant on the spot for the time being. From what I can tell, I can "safely" plant another hosta in that spot in the spring. Yes???

Wheasie
:|
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

That should be a good time frame to wait, Wheasie. Sorry about your infected hosta. :(
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

Wheasie - I'm sorry about your infected hosta, but better to KNOW so that you can take the appropriate action.

I was in Vancouver last week and visited a Home hardware on Commercial Drive close to where my DD lives. Found an infected hosta for sale. I pointed it out to them, explained about HVX and they seemed appreciative and as though they would take action. But I can't say for sure. It's certain they didn't know about HVX before I talked to them but I don't live close enough to check up on them.

Ann
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Freaky

A few things:

HVX can spread by seeds
HVX can (sometimes) be spottet in the white edge or center

And the time for replanting an other hosta is longer - a coupple of months or rest of the season
You can bye test strips for HVX

:hmm: Did I forget anything :D

Nice to see you and Wheasie again

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

thy wrote:Freaky

A few things:

HVX can spread by seeds
HVX can (sometimes) be spottet in the white edge or center

Pia
Pia,

Do you have a reference for HVX in seeds? The official line from the AHS is that it is not spread by seeds or pollen.

David
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

I'm not Pia, but I read last year somewhere that they had recently discovered it could be passed on in seeds....7% contamination was found in the whatever test they used.
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
FreakyCola

Post by FreakyCola »

Pia, Do you have an answer for Tigger? That's scarey thinking it could go through the seeds.
Thanks for everyones thoughts!
Ellen
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Sorry for my late reply on this thread.

Yes, HVX can spread in seed, and it has been posted on here before. I believe the link is somewhere on this forum, but there was a study done which showed that HVX can spread in 5 to 10% of the seedlings from an infected pod parent.

If I can find it again I'll post it.

Chris
New Topic Post Reply