Throw this hosta out?

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

sweeT
USDA Zone: 5

Throw this hosta out?

Post by sweeT »

Hi, I bought this Color Glory hosta last year. I grow my hostas in containers for a couple of years. I need to know if this is diseased, and I should just throw it out. I have a ton of hostas and don't want to chance losing any of them. I live in Ohio, we had a frost after the hosta leaves were sprouted. This hosta is the only one showing this. The new leaves look great. This was sitting in part sun for awhile and I didn't catch it. HVX? Nematodes? Sunburn? Throw out? Thanks for any help!!! :)
Attachments
Color Glory 1
Color Glory 1
Color Glory 2
Color Glory 2
newtohosta-no more

Re: Throw this hosta out?

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I wouldn't throw it out just yet, especially if the second flush of leaves look okay. Now...if they should start to show signs of the virus ,then that's another story. Give this thread a few days and see if Chris pops on here and looks at your pics. He'll probably be able to tell you if you should be concerned or not. :wink:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

Looks like frost damage to me..... I would hang onto it.

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
steg

Post by steg »

I'm going with the hang on it to vote. We had a couple nights where the frost got pretty good - and late.
To the world you may be one, but to one you may be the world.

My List: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=48366&p=425413#p425413
sweeT

Post by sweeT »

Hi, I had considered that this was frost damage or sunburn, but my confusion lies in the fact that I have over 100 hostas and this is the only one, which shows any leaf damage. This is a tissue culture I bought last year. I have other tissue cultures and none of them show damage. Maybe Color Glory is more sensitive, or it's just a fluke, but thought I'd register and see what others have to say. I've also posted some close ups of the damaged leaves. The new leaves look fine so far, and I would think if it were nematodes the new leaves would look bad too. Thanks for all your opinions.
Attachments
000170.jpg
0000171.jpg
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Hmmm...I didn't think nematodes showed up til later in the season?
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
probie
USDA Zone: 2b

Post by probie »

Speaking of frost damage, does anybody know what to do with a severely frost damaged hosta? I just cut it about 2 inches from the ground, but I want to know if it will come back or is it done? Please and thank you.
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Part of the damage looks like spring dessication burn, which is bad problem with Color Glory. It's not because it's a tissue culture, it's just something that happens to this hosta. I've had CG for 12 years, and I think it has looked good maybe 2 or 3 years. Last year I had to chop out a huge blue sport, and now what is left is a tiny 4 leaf piece. Frances Williams and DuPage Delight are two other hostas that show this nearly every year. I have Frances Williams in a very protected spot, and it doens't look too bad, not a lot of burn on it, but I can't see it behind everything else either! DuPage Delight is out in the back row of my hosta beds, where I don't see it often.
If you look at the pictures of Color Glory on the hosta library, you'll see spots like yours on a few of them.
Just something you have to put up with some years if you want to grow this hosta.
When it has a good year, it's spectacular.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
sweeT

Post by sweeT »

Thank you Linda, something about that makes sense to me now, because I moved this in total shade, and the new leaves look good. I did that right before I posted the original request. I think I'm just a bit nutty with all the virus info posted on hostas. Now, I'm out looking at every leaf, and any spot, yellowing or anything, I'm thinking; hmm, is this a virus? Never did that before. Either way, I've moved the container away from other hostas, and it's in heavy shade now. Thanks to everyone for all the replies, I'll keep checking in. I'm so glad I registered, because I don't know any other hosta-holics and it's nice to get feedback!
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

probie wrote:Speaking of frost damage, does anybody know what to do with a severely frost damaged hosta? I just cut it about 2 inches from the ground, but I want to know if it will come back or is it done? Please and thank you.
Hi Probie,

If the main eye was that badly frosted then it might send up new eyes to replace it, otherwise it will send up new leaves from that eye.

Could take a while, but it will come back :)

About the hosta above, I agree, that is just spring dessication burn. It is mostly caused by cold. The reason more protected hostas tend to not get it as badly is usually 1) those hostas often emerge later so aren't exposed to as much cold as those that are in an area where the soil warms and they sprout early and 2) they might be in a microclimate that doesn't get as cold at night.
probie
USDA Zone: 2b

Post by probie »

Ohhh, thank you so much. I was going to take it out, now I will not. peace.
New Topic Post Reply