Could this hosta have the virus?

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

Jennifer
USDA Zone: 6

Could this hosta have the virus?

Post by Jennifer »

I am relatively new to knowledge about hostas, even though I have grown them for years. Had no idea about viruses, and I am worried about this one year old Gold Standard. Someone told me that I could get some good advice here.

I started this plant from a little section someone gave me, with just two leaves, last July. It came up beautifully this year, however, it is in FULL SUN for most of the day and is way too yellow. I was just getting around to moving it to a less bright spot when I noticed some changes in the variegation. Could this bleeding be from too much light or do I need to dig up and dispose of this plant?
Attachments
IMG_4244.JPG
IMG_4244.JPG (37.6 KiB) Viewed 2003 times
steg
USDA Zone: 5

Re: Could this hosta have the virus?

Post by steg »

It looks OK to me... However, I'd wait until a few other chime in with their opinion. Could just be the green fading to yellow in the sun. I hope for your sake I'm right - always hate to lose one that way.
To the world you may be one, but to one you may be the world.

My List: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=48366&p=425413#p425413
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

thanks, your reply gives me some hope....
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Jennifer,

It looks okay to me too. Those variations you are seeing are most likely from the combination of sunlight plus a little shade from the leaves above shading itself. Often the color changes going on from a leaf changing from green to yellow don't look very crisp and people get worried, but I don't see anything there that looks like a virus.

Gold Standard can take a little bit of sun, but in too much it will turn bright yellow, then to a parchment color, then will turn brown. With it being that yellow already it probably will be a good idea to give it a little bit of shade, at least some shade in the afternoon.

Good luck!

Chris
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Thanks Chris! I am so relieved. The person who sent me this Gold Standard knows her hostas, and would never knowingly send a sick plant. I just wanted to make sure.

Definitely going to move it, I don't like the yellow color. It also has done something else weird....the flower stalk is about a foot high, and right under the bud is a little circlet of leaves. Never saw a hosta do that, have leaves up so high around the buds. Could that be from the excess light too?
New Topic Post Reply