Are they sick?

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

bettilou
USDA Zone: 6

Are they sick?

Post by bettilou »

Hello,
I'm new to the forum and found the information on Hosta viruses very helpful and scarry. I'm now paranoid. I'm also sad over the state of this hosta. Sorry, I bought it 4 yrs ago and don't know it's name. It has the most beautiful white flower that smells like a lily.

The leaves are puckered all of a sudden and rust spots are everywhere. Also this wierd discoloration has showed up.
I must say that we have received 4+ inches of rain in < 2 weeks and when I walk in this bed, my feet are starting to squish beneath me. The hosta receives about 2 hrs of direct AM sun, something we have seen 2 times in almost 3 weeks! My thought was to cut it down and see how it goes, unless someone is sure it's sick.
sickgreen_sm.jpg
sickgreen_sm.jpg (26.54 KiB) Viewed 1691 times
I also have this varigated hosta. When you look at the clump, it's made of about 7 sections (technical name?).
The discoloration on the leaves shown is only on one small section. All of the other leaves look totally healthy. Do you think I should pull out this changing section or does the entire clump need to be tossed? This white hosta is inches away from the green hosta above. Any suggestions deeply appreciated - Bettilou.
sick white hosta
sick white hosta
sickwhite.jpg (30.25 KiB) Viewed 1691 times
Pieter

Re: Are they sick?

Post by Pieter »

The rust spots I'm not sure about, but the mottled and bumpy appearance of the leaves certainly points in the HVX direction, although it's kinda hard to tell in this relatively low resolution picture. If possible a higher resolution close-up of the leaf might tell more than what we can see here now. BTW, that could well be a variety called 'So Sweet'. The 2nd picture shows behavior I have seen lots in 'Undulata', which is what this looks like to me, and unless you start seeing severe and irregular puckering of the leaves I wouldn't loose any sleep over it.
Pieter

"Never trust anyone who doesn't have dog hair on their clothes."

Pieter's Hosta List
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

hi, bettilou -

First of all, welcome!!!!!

Secondly, I agree with Pieter on the second one, but I'm pretty sure the first one is HVX. Hopefully Chris will check in here pretty soon.

When removing virused plants it is very important to take them out without the torn roots/plant infecting healthy ones around it. It is also very important to disinfect your tools and hands with bleach.

Sorry for the bad news.... :(
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Welcome Bettilou,

Yes, the first hosta probably should be pitched. The brown spots aren't a problem, but the bumping that I see on the back leaves and the lighter variations on the middle leaf could be hosta virus x. I think that is So Sweet, and it is a common one to be infected.

The main thing to be careful of when removing it is to not cut into any other hosta roots. When you got to dig it up try to get close to the center of that clump and pry it out, don't worry if you leave a lot of roots behind, just be careful not to dig into anything else.

After you are done wash the dirt off your shovel and then soak it in lysol. Also wash your hands really good.

I would then throw the hosta on the driveway or somewhere out in the hot, baking sun and let it dry out. When it is lighter throw it in a trash bag and send it to the dump.

Don't plant another hosta there this year. Wait at least until next spring.

The second hosta is fine - like mentioned, Undulata can do that :)
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

Who am I to comment after Chris has spoken, but the mottling in the first one looks very much like the mottling in my Lakeside Looking Glass a bit more than a year ago and it ultimately tested positive.

I want to react more to what Chris said
The main thing to be careful of when removing it is to not cut into any other hosta roots. When you got to dig it up try to get close to the center of that clump and pry it out, don't worry if you leave a lot of roots behind, just be careful not to dig into anything else.
I think a lot of us forget that we might encounter the roots of a nearby hosta in the process of removing the diseased one. Excellent thought and I will be doubly careful should I have another infected plant in my garden.

Ann
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
New Topic Post Reply